Nest in October?

Goosewhisper

In the Brooder
Sep 28, 2023
My mallard or call duck, are both laying in a nest in the coop. They are first year mothers, and did this back in July. Only one duckling hatched under the call duck, but looks like a mallard. So mallard female must think she had a failed brood. But one or the other just started laying again three days ago…6 eggs so far. Is it common for ducks in captivity to make a nest this time of year? (Note they free range on property during day, are locked in coop/run at night). Mallard sat on the original nest in July, but only partially developed then rotten eggs…I think she got up too often leading to only partial development.

Attachments

• IMG_0673.jpeg
    IMG_0673.jpeg
    595.3 KB · Views: 23
  • IMG_0675.png
    IMG_0675.png
    1.2 MB · Views: 3
  • IMG_0674.png
    IMG_0674.png
    799.4 KB · Views: 3
Usually by now most domestic ducks are either going through molt or finishing up and have put nesting behind them. I have a Muscovy female who hatched 2 ducklings in June of this year and she is broody again but has no eggs I made sure of that. Too late in the year to bring ducklings into the world.
If you live in the south like Texas or Fla. you might have ducks mating and brooding and hatching. A member said in Texas where she lives ducks are mating year-round and hatching too.

Back
Top Bottom