Broody hen DIED 2 week old chicks

Chicken poppy

Fashionably late 🎤🦆
Premium Feather Member
May 9, 2021
Poppyland
Help! My broody hen and chicks are outside in my chicken coop, the hen (Dixie) seemed a bit off, especially yesterday. Today she died, wing spread out, neck sort of twisted, but eyes closed, so it seemed peaceful.. the chicks were all under her wing and it broke my heart. I have no idea what to do! They are bantam Japanese chicks (four chicks) and two adult chickens are fine with them (other Japanese bantams) and not aggressive, but the other two (much bigger not bantam chickens) are aggressive and seem to not like them. The chicks are two weeks old. What do i do? Bring them inside? Make a brooder for them? Will they freeze by the time i do? I’m so panicked.. If i make a brooder with a heat lamp for them, what temp should it be?

Okay I just saw that they are 2 weeks so that means the brooder should be kept at 90 degrees.
I looked at the age again, they are 2 weeks and 5 days. It’s 72 in the coop, they seem okay and they are sun bathing for the sunny part. I don’t want the other chickens hot and i would prefer to keep them out there because i don’t want to reverse introduction.

Back
Top Bottom