Broody hen DIED 2 week old chicks

I'm glad you were able to get some answers.

Doesn't sound like anything contagious.
Me too.

Phew! That gives me some relief. I was mostly worried for the babies, being so young and fragile and obviously with her their entire life. I will post back updates whenever i get the lab results for it. (Which might be weeks or a month away.)

Never mind making something that would take too long. Go get a large Rubbermaid tub and some shavings and a heat lamp asap. Put them in it and then take the lid and cut out half of the top. Use strapping to put a section of hardware cloth over it so you can see. Make sure they have chick starter feed and water. You can then refine the brooder later if needed. Do not leave the chicks in the coop. Other chickens will attack them and they are not ready to be out.

Help! My broody hen and chicks are outside in my chicken coop, the hen (Dixie) seemed a bit off, especially yesterday. Today she died, wing spread out, neck sort of twisted, but eyes closed, so it seemed peaceful.. the chicks were all under her wing and it broke my heart. I have no idea what to do! They are bantam Japanese chicks (four chicks) and two adult chickens are fine with them (other Japanese bantams) and not aggressive, but the other two (much bigger not bantam chickens) are aggressive and seem to not like them. The chicks are two weeks old. What do i do? Bring them inside? Make a brooder for them? Will they freeze by the time i do? I’m so panicked.. If i make a brooder with a heat lamp for them, what temp should it be?
First be calm you have to work fast, gather up chicks and put into something to carry them in take them inside find a clothes basket if nothing else and put paper towels in the bottom, quickly get a lamp with 75/100 way bulb … if nothing else fill a two liter bottle with very hot water and cover the bottle with paper towels. now put the babies in the basket add a water dish with paper towels to keep them from drowning, give softened pellets and that should buy you some time!

Hi all, thanks for all your support & advice. They are 5 weeks and two days (oh how time flies.) and already look so much like her, i planned on culling my roosters (as it is completely obvious one is a rooster) but I simply don’t have the heart, as i will never be able to get a Peep Dixie baby again, since shes gone. I want her offspring to live on, so i doubt i will part with the roo. Some may not believe in this, but recently my hen Emily got taken by a hawk. She was my favorite and i still hurt thinking of her passing. One of the babies just reminds me of her whenever i look at her and does things only she would do. I feel like a bit of Emily is in her, i can’t really describe it.

Well, anyway, they are all doing well. Gabby is very motherly to them and is sweet, so they sort of idolize her. They are growing fast and are happy chickies. Thank you all again!!

Back
Top Bottom