Broody hen DIED 2 week old chicks

I’m feeling somewhat good about this going well.. Atleast i hope it does. The heat is very light and i did a fuzzy little pocket for them to get in like Azygous suggested. A very light heat plate is underneath and wrapped in a cloth so they feel very minimal heat and can avoid it if they get to hot, they are snuggled together in there keeping toasty.
I hope everything goes well, they were chirping for mom so it took a while to settle in.

Okay, my rooster Peep has seen the babies and actually seems a bit scared of them. They ran under him and perched on his toe and he really couldn’t care less.

However, he did sort of go into a wing dance with them, like his wing spread out and he started doing the shuffle walk but then stopped like he wasn’t sure what to do. Is this concerning? Could he hurt the babies if this progresses more?

He's not sure what to do with chicks. That can be dangerous as he could injure them simply out of curiosity. Best to keep the chicks away from him.
Okay, i will. I was worried about that, i wasn’t sure if it was just a test or if he would continue to do it. He is the same breed so is tiny, they are about a quarter of his height. I will try and keep him away from them, when do you think its best to reintroduce?

At point of lay. Then the pullets will be able to handle him, and they will be large enough that he will be far less likely to injure them. I'm not saying he has bad intentions, but young roosters are inexperienced, curious, and their judgement is clouded by hormones.
Got it. I will do that then. He definitely is clouded by hormones, thats all he can ever think about.

I have news on how Dixie died. Summary: Cancer. Tumors everywhere.

I’m going to go into detail here but still try and stay somewhat summarized.
Renal neoplasia (Kidney cancer)
Splenomegaly (Enlarged spleen, caused by infection injuries or tumors)
Intestinal dilation with obstruction (blockage in intestinal from tumor/something ingested)

Necrotic enteritis (inflammation of small intestine)

*I want to add this is what i found out from research, the meanings of the words. If i got something wrong please correct me but i’m putting the terms in anyway incase i did research something wrong or someone needs it specific*

She weighed 520 grams, right side of abdomen was blue and distended (which i presume was due to her laying there on her side from death) there multiple loops of the small intestine that were dilated and compressing against the right abdominal wall.
Lungs and upper respiratory tract appear normal, crop was full of feed, proventriculus and ventriculus were normal and the ovary was inactive. Pale yellow tumor attached to the ovary. One segment of the jejunum that was enlarged contained a large yellow caseous necrotic mucosa that was obstructing the intestine. The intestinal wall appeared thickened. The spleen was enlarged. The sciatic nerves and brain appeared normal..

@azygous @Wyorp Rock @Eggcessive i’m sure your sick of me tagging you so I sincerely apologize. I just have a burning question. Does any of this sound like it could be disease caused? I’m so worried about the health of the babies and Jolene my other sick chicken. Thank you.

Any abnormality with the liver, normal size? If not, this necropsy appears negative for both Marek's and lymphoid leucosis.
Nothing i saw that said liver was abnormal. Fingers crossed nothing else is wrong (i’m really hoping nothing is contagious or a disease)

Back
Top Bottom