Broody Hen Hatched Eggs in Nesting Box , will she get the chicks out or do i help?

what did I do

Songster
10 Years
Apr 10, 2012
Montana
What would you do? The nest is off the ground, about 3 feet. Will she nest on the ground with them on her own? She needs to care for them on her own because I will be gone for a week sometime soon.

What would you do? The nest is off the ground, about 3 feet. Will she nest on the ground with them on her own? She needs to care for them on her own because I will be gone for a week sometime soon.
Same boat here!!!!
Ours hatched out 3 or 4 yesterday, I am leaving town tonight but back in 2 days (Sun)--

I hear that 3 ft wont hurt the chicks (put an extra layer of straw down for them to land on)--
I am just worried if 2 jump down and 2 stay up! What will mama do? (I would hope she would jump down and tend to the 2 on the ground and the other 2 will follow?)... I set up a feeder and waterer on the floor of the coop at the far end-- its like 12 by 4 ft with the entry hole/ ramp at one end... And a box filled with straw for her to nest in...
SO far shes still up in the nest with the babies... It is driving me crazy... I heard the babies can handle 3 days w/o food/water (d/t their yolk sacs still being absorbed).... SO hoping she gets them down by... Sunday?....
And the other 9 hens dont hurt them..
Ok sorry not hjack your thread--
But I was told to leave mom alone she will know what to do (and since you and I are going outa town, I guess we do have to depend on her, and that she knows the right thing)-- I was told not to move her she will move when she feels the time is right--
These are her first chicks, though...
What about yours? When were they hatched, is it an experienced hen? Lets compare notes!!!

Same boat here!!!!
Ours hatched out 3 or 4 yesterday, I am leaving town tonight but back in 2 days (Sun)--

I hear that 3 ft wont hurt the chicks (put an extra layer of straw down for them to land on)--
 I am just worried if 2 jump down and 2 stay up! What will mama do? (I would hope she would jump down and tend to the 2 on the ground and the other 2 will follow?)... I set up a feeder and waterer on the floor of the coop at the far end-- its like 12 by 4 ft with the entry hole/ ramp at one end... And a box filled with straw for her to nest in...
SO far shes still up in the nest with the babies... It is driving me crazy... I heard the babies can handle 3 days w/o food/water (d/t their yolk sacs still being absorbed).... SO hoping she gets them down by... Sunday?....
And the other 9 hens dont hurt them..
Ok sorry not hjack your thread--
But I was told to leave mom alone she will know what to do (and since you and I are going outa town, I guess we do have to depend on her, and that she knows the right thing)-- I was told not to move her she will move when she feels the time is right--
These are her first chicks, though...
What about yours? When were they hatched, is it an experienced hen? Lets compare notes!!!

My chicks hatched yesterday or the day before so she should. Ive them soon. I have not moved or added food or water for them. I guess I should.

Back
Top Bottom