Broody hen & hatching

pgoker

Chirping
7 Years
Feb 26, 2017
Iowa
I’ve got a broody hen, in the most popular nest box, that has started to hatch her eggs. Started with 9, kicked 1 out after 1 week of sitting, 1 hatched on Friday afternoon, 1 broken egg she crushed yesterday. My concern is, the 1 hatched Friday hasn’t had any water or food yet, she is still sitting & not letting it out. Do I need to remove her & get the chick out to water & feed? I’m planning on letting her completely raise the chicks in with the flock as it will be easier on her & me. And she’s been a good protective momma so far.
Thanks in advance for any help given!

I’ve got a broody hen, in the most popular nest box, that has started to hatch her eggs. Started with 9, kicked 1 out after 1 week of sitting, 1 hatched on Friday afternoon, 1 broken egg she crushed yesterday. My concern is, the 1 hatched Friday hasn’t had any water or food yet, she is still sitting & not letting it out. Do I need to remove her & get the chick out to water & feed? I’m planning on letting her completely raise the chicks in with the flock as it will be easier on her & me. And she’s been a good protective momma so far.
Thanks in advance for any help given!

I remove my hens and separate them so the babies can be low to the ground and get out from under her to get food and water while momma sits on the nest. It als keeps other hens from bothering them. I don’t think she’s not done hatching yet.

I remove my hens and separate them so the babies can be low to the ground and get out from under her to get food and water while momma sits on the nest. It als keeps other hens from bothering them. I don’t think she’s not done hatching yet.
I thought about getting a wire dog crate out today & putting it on the floor of the coop for the chicks. The other hens haven’t bothered her at all, in fact they take turns sitting when she leaves the eggs to eat. Then they hop off once she comes back in the coop. But I do have 2 ducks that I’m keeping out of the coop for now, I think they’ll be ok as they havent bothered her any. She’s very protective, fluffs up & squawks when anyone comes near her!

Once we had our first hatchling, I put my broody in a separate box with food and water right next to her and she actually tended to the baby and got it to eat as she was waiting on the others. But after about a day and a half she got up and left one egg that another broody hatched and who appears to be very healthy in spite of the longer time.

Back
Top Bottom