Cinnaqueen3305

In the Brooder
Feb 4, 2021
So I had to bring in my broody mama and her egg (she’s a bantam and the only viable egg left) because our temps here dipped into the single digits with negative wind chills. We have her set up in a corner of a room where it’s chilly but not cold, but of course that same room has a fireplace and I’ve been worried about the heat/fireplace sucking all the moisture out of the air needed for the egg to successfully hatch. BUT today when I was checking on her, I noticed she was sitting on damp pine shavings. I thought maybe her water had spilled but no. I *think* (not an expert), that mama could tell it was too dry and so she wet the bedding to create more humidity. Because when I felt under her it’s for sure moist. Am I wrong here? I’ve been fretting over this mama and her egg for days now. It’s my first hatch and first broody hen. WHY she had to go broody in January escapes me. 😂🤦🏼‍♀️

I've never heard of a broody "wetting" the bedding. Do you have an idea how she might do that? Actually, part of the broody process is imparting high humidity from her sweaty and bare breast to the nest to keep the eggs at the proper humidity. They can do this to perfection in any temperature and climate extremes. They are truly a marvel of nature's wisdom.

I've never heard of a broody "wetting" the bedding. Do you have an idea how she might do that? Actually, part of the broody process is imparting high humidity from her sweaty and bare breast to the nest to keep the eggs at the proper humidity. They can do this to perfection in any temperature and climate extremes. They are truly a marvel of nature's wisdom.
I have come to understand they are masters of maternal instincts and they have all the equipment needed. Her waterer is in the corner or her brooder box right now So I wondered if she maybe tipped it over. Do you think I should clean it up? I hate to disturb her and the egg under her like that. It should be hatching in the next couple of days. Long story short, I didn’t get a set date marked on this one so I don’t know for sure when it’s supposed to hatch. I’m hoping the mama will know if it’s gone bad. It doesn’t smell and it isn’t oozing, and when I candled it a couple days ago it was moving. So fingers crossed!

No, don't disturb her. If the bedding is damp, her body heat will still keep the egg as warm as it needs to be. After the chick hatches, you can reassess the need to change the bedding for fresh.

I've never heard of a broody "wetting" the bedding. Do you have an idea how she might do that? Actually, part of the broody process is imparting high humidity from her sweaty and bare breast to the nest to keep the eggs at the proper humidity.
Me neither.....do chickens sweat?

no chickens can't sweat but keeping the eggs covered should keep them in a high humidity as it is the eggs that are sweating, ie transpiring moisture (hence why the air cell enlarges as it does so). If a chicken is sitting on them it will trap all that moisture.
I don't think a wet bed is good, the idea is to keep all water off eggs to stop bacteria getting into it. Maybe the coop is leaking as I can't see the hen doing this on purpose. Depends how wet it is as she certainly won't like to be disturbed either.

no chickens can't sweat but keeping the eggs covered should keep them in a high humidity as it is the eggs that are sweating, ie transpiring moisture (hence why the air cell enlarges as it does so). If a chicken is sitting on them it will trap all that moisture.
I don't think a wet bed is good, the idea is to keep all water off eggs to stop bacteria getting into it. Maybe the coop is leaking as I can't see the hen doing this on purpose. Depends how wet it is as she certainly won't like to be disturbed either.
She’s currently in my living room in a big “maternity ward” until the chick hatches. So there can’t be a leak. It’s almost like she got herself wet and then sat down on the egg. I’ll offer her some dry shredded paper so she can tuck it under her. I don’t want to risk her leaving the egg because we messed with her too much. She’s proven to be very dedicated but still!

Back
Top Bottom