Broody Hen Thread!

so my hen has decided to lay her eggs right near our back door on a table - and she just likes to lay their for a long time... how do I get her back in the hen house - the corner was fine - I am not too worried about the boxes - but at least in her house....? thoughts?

Quote:
How about putting her and her eggs into a portable nest such as a cat crate, right on the table where she is laying now, and then move her in her portable nest back into the hen house at night?

Hi all,
I have a question about how to re-integrate chicks that have been raised by my broody hen into the main coop where the rest of the flock roosts.

A bit of background:
My broody incubated hatching eggs in the nest box of a small temporary coop where my flock had started out, but they moved to their larger coop before the eggs hatched. We fenced off the part of the run that the temporary coop was in until the chicks were about 4-5 weeks old and then removed the fence so that integrated mama and her brood were integrated with the rest of the flock in the run during the day. At night mama and her chicks still went back to the small coop and the rest of the girls went into the main coop. Until yesterday. The chicks are just over 7 weeks old, and last evening when I went to close the pop doors, I found mama roosting in the main coop with the rest of the flock, but the chicks were still back in their nest box in the small coop.

My question is, what is the best way to get them all into the main coop? I have seen them all going in and out of the main coop during the day for over about a week now, so it’s not a foreign place for them. I was thinking of just closing the pop door to the little coop when I get home this afternoon and see if they will go into the main coop on their own. Does this sound like a good way to go?

i just wanna ask that how often do new hampshire and weaten marans go broody.........my NH just started 1 week ago so should i wait for 1 months to let the eggs go bigger or jxt use these eggs to incubate........... Plz tell me how often do the both go broody...

Well, I finally put some chicks under my broody! I found a local breeder with some 1-2 day old chicks, picked them up this evening, brought them home and stuffed them under her. She was a little freaked out at first, and pecked them a few times. They had been under a lamp, but the chickies knew just what to do, and burrowed right under mom despite her screeching! After they were under, she settled and now seems fine. She is talking to them when they peep and keeping them tight under her. I'm going to leave them alone for the night, and check on them in the am. Hopefully she doesn't go psycho and freak out on the babies during the night. I didn't get their pic before I put them in, so hopefully tomorrow she will have them up and I can get some shots. They are so cute though, just three little babies, one silver phoenix, one silver duckwing bantam, and one BLRW that looks like it may be a splash. He had silkies and cochin too, but I don't need anymore broodies! I attempted to pick out pullets, which means they are probably all roosters. Hoping tonight goes okay and she takes to the babies!

Hi all,
I have a question about how to re-integrate chicks that have been raised by my broody hen into the main coop where the rest of the flock roosts.

A bit of background:
My broody incubated hatching eggs in the nest box of a small temporary coop where my flock had started out, but they moved to their larger coop before the eggs hatched. We fenced off the part of the run that the temporary coop was in until the chicks were about 4-5 weeks old and then removed the fence so that integrated mama and her brood were integrated with the rest of the flock in the run during the day. At night mama and her chicks still went back to the small coop and the rest of the girls went into the main coop. Until yesterday. The chicks are just over 7 weeks old, and last evening when I went to close the pop doors, I found mama roosting in the main coop with the rest of the flock, but the chicks were still back in their nest box in the small coop.

My question is, what is the best way to get them all into the main coop? I have seen them all going in and out of the main coop during the day for over about a week now, so it’s not a foreign place for them. I was thinking of just closing the pop door to the little coop when I get home this afternoon and see if they will go into the main coop on their own. Does this sound like a good way to go?
That is what I would do. They seem old enough now to figure things out.
Good job
Marie

Well, I finally put some chicks under my broody! I found a local breeder with some 1-2 day old chicks, picked them up this evening, brought them home and stuffed them under her. She was a little freaked out at first, and pecked them a few times. They had been under a lamp, but the chickies knew just what to do, and burrowed right under mom despite her screeching! After they were under, she settled and now seems fine. She is talking to them when they peep and keeping them tight under her. I'm going to leave them alone for the night, and check on them in the am. Hopefully she doesn't go psycho and freak out on the babies during the night. I didn't get their pic before I put them in, so hopefully tomorrow she will have them up and I can get some shots. They are so cute though, just three little babies, one silver phoenix, one silver duckwing bantam, and one BLRW that looks like it may be a splash. He had silkies and cochin too, but I don't need anymore broodies! I attempted to pick out pullets, which means they are probably all roosters. Hoping tonight goes okay and she takes to the babies!
Glad you got her some babies. I think she will be just fine. Check on them in the morning and see how things are going. Are you going to be around to check on them a couple times?
Marie

Back
Top Bottom