Broody Hen Thread!

I write the date the eggs were laid on the egg then i count 21 days past the lay date so if the egg doesnt hatch on its due date I give it a day or two and if it still doesnt hatch i know its bad.

I hope you're not trying to use your broody hen as an incubator. Generally speaking, a broody hen is really only equipped to complete one broody cycle which would typically last between 21 and 23 days, if you keep putting more eggs under her and removing chicks as they hatch just to keep her brooding, that would not be a good idea. Keeping her brooding for an extended period of time would probably be very stressful and unhealthy for her. I generally would never set an egg on the same day as it was laid either. I have always believed that the egg needs to thoroughly cool for at least 24 hours before starting incubation, whether it be a broody hen or incubator. I usually wait 2 to 3 days before setting eggs. I feel that when the egg is laid, it's already heated up and it needs to cool before it gets incubated to start development. If you think about it, a clutch of 12 eggs would have at least 10 eggs that have been cool for more than 2 days and some up to 10 days. I don't know if an egg set the same day it was laid would develop or not, but that's just my thoughts.

I hope you're not trying to use your broody hen as an incubator. Generally speaking, a broody hen is really only equipped to complete one broody cycle which would typically last between 21 and 23 days, if you keep putting more eggs under her and removing chicks as they hatch just to keep her brooding, that would not be a good idea. Keeping her brooding for an extended period of time would probably be very stressful and unhealthy for her. I generally would never set an egg on the same day as it was laid either. I have always believed that the egg needs to thoroughly cool for at least 24 hours before starting incubation, whether it be a broody hen or incubator. I usually wait 2 to 3 days before setting eggs. I feel that when the egg is laid, it's already heated up and it needs to cool before it gets incubated to start development. If you think about it, a clutch of 12 eggs would have at least 10 eggs that have been cool for more than 2 days and some up to 10 days. I don't know if an egg set the same day it was laid would develop or not, but that's just my thoughts.

It is an interesting thought, makes a lot of sense when considering the way things work in a more 'wild' environment.
I never use an incubator, but I know some folks have them going about constantly this time of year....maybe one of those folks on the hatching threads would have anecdotal experience on it....

I would like to apologize for asking for such a mediocre tool that apparently no one uses when hatching eggs with broody hens. I thought it was a fun and exciting way for my girls and myself to keep track of life growing inside of the eggs, and to ensure things were going well.

I suppose that since we aren't using an artificial incubator we would not need to check on the eggs as often, however since I had requested such a chart or tool for tracking progression of the broody hens egg development, 1 of my hens clutch has gotten smaller sadly, my Light Brown Leghorn had 12 eggs under her, the other day I was cleaning and changing water and giving them treats, she got off the nest and let me check on the eggs, I saw broken shell stuck to 1 of them, so I then did a recount and looked at the numbers marked on them, 2 had broken, I then went through the litter to find the shell and take out any contaminated fluff n stuff (shavings). So I had to go to my had written list, and put gone on the 2 that broke :(

I would like to apologize for asking for such a mediocre tool that apparently no one uses when hatching eggs with broody hens. I thought it was a fun and exciting way for my girls and myself to keep track of life growing inside of the eggs, and to ensure things were going well. 

I suppose that since we aren't using an artificial incubator we would not need to check on the eggs as often, however since I had requested such a chart or tool for tracking progression of the broody hens egg development, 1 of my hens clutch has gotten smaller sadly, my Light Brown Leghorn had 12 eggs under her, the other day I was cleaning and changing water and giving them treats, she got off the nest and let me check on the eggs, I saw broken shell stuck to 1 of them, so I then did a recount and looked at the numbers marked on them, 2 had broken, I then went through the litter to find the shell and take out any contaminated fluff n stuff (shavings). So I had to go to my had written list, and put gone on the 2 that broke  :(

I am sorry no one was able to help you with charting on your broody progress, especially when it was such a cool project for you and your girls. I don't have the computer skills to even begin to help in setting up such a program.
There was nothing mediocre about your idea or request, it just didn't get to the right ears, maybe....honestly the routine tracking seems to be more prominent in incubator hatching, so someone on the 'incubating with friends' or the April hatch-a-long may be able to send you in the right direction. In modern speak 'there is probably an app for that'

I'm sorry you had a couple broken, we find it once in a while with our hens also, especially the large fowl hens...one thing which I began doing to reduce the frequency is candling the eggs before setting them and not even setting any with porous looking shells, every once in a while we get one and I know they are prone to either not developing or breaking.
Sometimes our hens will break and then eat ones which don't develop or quit....I believe it is instinctual for them, to avoid wasting effort and heat on futile eggs and to avoid contamination by rotted eggs.

My husband does get a bank type calendar with the big boxes for the numbers and he keeps 'coop notes' on them, we then have a year to year record of chicken activity. He marks 'broody set' info, then advances 3 weeks and marks her due date, once she hatches he puts in results, any losses in between are noted on the day it happens. I know it's not very technical, but has been an effective method for us, we average 25-30 broody hatches a year.

I hope you're not trying to use your broody hen as an incubator. Generally speaking, a broody hen is really only equipped to complete one broody cycle which would typically last between 21 and 23 days, if you keep putting more eggs under her and removing chicks as they hatch just to keep her brooding, that would not be a good idea. Keeping her brooding for an extended period of time would probably be very stressful and unhealthy for her. I generally would never set an egg on the same day as it was laid either. I have always believed that the egg needs to thoroughly cool for at least 24 hours before starting incubation, whether it be a broody hen or incubator. I usually wait 2 to 3 days before setting eggs. I feel that when the egg is laid, it's already heated up and it needs to cool before it gets incubated to start development. If you think about it, a clutch of 12 eggs would have at least 10 eggs that have been cool for more than 2 days and some up to 10 days. I don't know if an egg set the same day it was laid would develop or not They will hatch. My serama (silkies too) often lay a last egg the day after brooding starts. I mark all eggs are they are laid so I'm positive of this. Chicken eggs do not need to cool before being incubated in order to hatch. , but that's just my thoughts.

i just stumbled on this info with the answer to my question (which was, can I let my broody sit for 2 cycles). Thanks for the info--I didn't think that would be healthy for her. But have another question... my broody just completed a 25 day sit with no hatchlings :( This is her first time and she REALLY wants to sit. How long should I wait before I get more fertile eggs under her? Wait a week or a month or longer?

I currently have four broody d'Uccle hens. I don't care to try to break all of them, but I do have a brooder slap full of chicks and could stand to give them a few.

Question is, how might that work out? Would they fight over them, or share them? I've never had multiple broodies at once. They're a bit much though. :gig

Here's one of them arguing with me over whose eggs

Back
Top Bottom