Broody Hen

Dhinshaw

Chirping
Jun 20, 2019
I have a broody hen that is in an existing coop/run (about a 8' x 20') with 5 other hens and one well mannered rooster. One of her eggs hatched and I found the baby dead on the ground yesterday afternoon. Not sure what happened. So , I tried to move her to another smaller coop close by last night, and she was not happy at all. Checked on her this morning, and she was not sitting on her eggs so I've moved her back. Any suggestions on what to do? I'm not sure if the others killed the first chick hatched, or if she might have removed it from the nest. Please help. I'm new at hatching babies.

I have a broody hen that is in an existing coop/run (about a 8' x 20') with 5 other hens and one well mannered rooster. One of her eggs hatched and I found the baby dead on the ground yesterday afternoon. Not sure what happened. So , I tried to move her to another smaller coop close by last night, and she was not happy at all. Checked on her this morning, and she was not sitting on her eggs so I've moved her back. Any suggestions on what to do? I'm not sure if the others killed the first chick hatched, or if she might have removed it from the nest. Please help. I'm new at hatching babies.
Block off the nest as best you can so the other chickens can not get at it. Make sure the nest is such that the newly hatched chicks can't stray away from the nest. Once the chicks hatch, move hen and chicks to a safe place. Good luck.

Back
Top Bottom