Broody in Feb!!!??

My broody got confused a couple of times when she got out of the nestbox for her daily drink, eats and poo. She got back in the wrong nest box. I just gently removed her and placed her back where she belonged.

yes i agree its much easier to let momma brood them. this will be my third time i have had a hen hatch there youngins. took last year off as i bought chicks . this year i decided to let the broodies hatch there own.

this broody i have now has been picky. started last week letting her sit on eggs she kept going nest to nest so i gave up last week . and kept takeing the eggs from her each day. but she wouldnt leave the nest even though there was no eggs under her. so this time i put her in the kennel and she seems to be staying on the nest. that and i can tell shes in full brood i picked her up and her breast feathers were thinning out shes ready i would say.

Hillbilly hen, those pics are so cute. My chicks sit on momma too, of course I never have the camera.
he.gif

Congrats on all the new babies! Two more weeks for Hilde and me! I hope the weather breaks and we get some sun and warmth for the babies...supose to snow again tonight...Im soooo over winter!
PS. What have you been feeding your broody hens? my girl is just interested in scratch grain right now...is that good enough?

Last edited:
Quote:
It was kind of hard, but I had left my broody alone the entire time, so I just had to wait for her to show me.
pop.gif
I did sneak an egg once at the end
hide.gif
and it peeped at me.
love.gif
Be patient!
hide.gif
(it's VERY hard)

koolduck, I fed my broody layer feed until they hatched. She wasn't too interested, but I didn't want to mess with grit in the brooder box where she is. When I saw the first chick, I put in chick starter. She plowed into that like she hadn't eaten in 21 days!
wink.png

WEll tomorrow is the day!!!! I cant wait!!!!!!! 2 are to hatch tomorrow and 2 on sat! I cant wait!!!!! I am going to clean out the place for the babies! OMGOSH!!!!! I have a friend coming over to so she will get to see the lil babies!!!! I will have pics right away! I was having dreams of baby chicks last night! lol
Good luck too all you guys!

Chicken Girl

Back
Top Bottom