Broody on eggs too dark to candle

Cookiejen

Chirping
8 Years
Dec 6, 2011
Moorpark, CA
Hi everyone! My broody is determined to be a mom. After her 3rd attempt of hatching unfertilized eggs, I finally broke down and got her some hatching eggs. She's a determined mom and only leaves the nest for a few minutes a day. I've tried to candle the eggs with my trusty mag lite and some dark towels but no real luck on most.

So does anyone know how to tell if your getting growth without candling? We're almost to (hopefully) hatch late this week and yesterday when i made my final attempt, they felt heavier/ more solid and seemed weight was distributed unevenly. Am I losing my mind?

The bad eggs I've pulled over the years generally feel more "fragile" like porcelain but these are hefty.

Thoughts?

As close to hatch as you are I'd not worry about it or disturb her/handle the eggs. ...just wait and see
Thanks! I plan on staying away except to double check food and water. It's so dang hard with the prospect of new babies

Just wondering if others experience a difference in "feel" of the eggs close to hatch. Might help others that aren't good at candling or have very dark eggs as well.

I've had bloody hens and bought eggs and the eggs all hatched and we've had a plethora of different chickens. It's the nearest thong to see. We just put the eggs under her then let her do her job. Amazing and the best mom ever. Never a worry.
I'm incubating some now and it's stressful lol

I've had bloody hens and bought eggs and the eggs all hatched and we've had a plethora of different chickens. It's the nearest thong to see. We just put the eggs under her then let her do her job. Amazing and the best mom ever. Never a worry.
I'm incubating some now and it's stressful lol
Thanks for the reply! It's so fun to watch. I hope I get hatch results like yours! I'm hoping for even one just so it breaks her broody-ness and all her hard work pays off.

Hi everyone! My broody is determined to be a mom. After her 3rd attempt of hatching unfertilized eggs, I finally broke down and got her some hatching eggs. She's a determined mom and only leaves the nest for a few minutes a day. I've tried to candle the eggs with my trusty mag lite and some dark towels but no real luck on most.

So does anyone know how to tell if your getting growth without candling? We're almost to (hopefully) hatch late this week and yesterday when i made my final attempt, they felt heavier/ more solid and seemed weight was distributed unevenly. Am I losing my mind?

The bad eggs I've pulled over the years generally feel more "fragile" like porcelain but these are hefty.

Thoughts?
This close to hatching, the chick take up most of the egg. You can see into the air cell quite will usually but most of the egg will be dark. Unless the egg smells bad, leave it alone and enjoy the chicks when they hatch!

Back
Top Bottom