Broody on/off nest with one chick

Sakmeht

Chirping
8 Years
May 19, 2011
So my broody is on 8 eggs. Yesterday was day 20 and I found one chick with her that morning. She sat all day yesterday, all night, and up until 11am today. She's been on and off the nest since with her chick showing it how to find food and water. Once I found her sitting nest to the nest with her chick. Since it's day 21, I'm not sure how all of this up and down business will affect the viability of the rest of the eggs. I did pick them all up and tap and listen for sound, but didn't hear anything - but this being my first time with a broody I'm not completely trusting myself. Do these eggs have a chance as long as she's still on the nest a bit? I'm planning to leave them alone throughout the rest of the day and probably tomorrow unless she very obviously stays off the nest tomorrow. Do you think there's still a chance for the rest of the eggs even with her being on and off of them? When I looked I didn't see any pips.

Edited to add that I don't have an incubator. This was an experiment to see how good of a broody she would be. She's on blue orpington eggs.

Last edited:
So my broody is on 8 eggs. Yesterday was day 20 and I found one chick with her that morning. She sat all day yesterday, all night, and up until 11am today. She's been on and off the nest since with her chick showing it how to find food and water. Once I found her sitting nest to the nest with her chick. Since it's day 21, I'm not sure how all of this up and down business will affect the viability of the rest of the eggs. I did pick them all up and tap and listen for sound, but didn't hear anything - but this being my first time with a broody I'm not completely trusting myself. Do these eggs have a chance as long as she's still on the nest a bit? I'm planning to leave them alone throughout the rest of the day and probably tomorrow unless she very obviously stays off the nest tomorrow. Do you think there's still a chance for the rest of the eggs even with her being on and off of them? When I looked I didn't see any pips.

Edited to add that I don't have an incubator. This was an experiment to see how good of a broody she would be. She's on blue orpington eggs.
Leave them until day 24 (unless she completly leaves them before that), if they don't hatch, just get rid.

Thanks... she's been off of the nest for up to a 1/2 hour at a time, but I think the eggs can stand that. The days are pretty nice here right now. I'll try to stop being so impatient!

:)

Back
Top Bottom