Broody Red PULLET

weaveagarden

Songster
10 Years
Jul 4, 2009
Hoquiam, Wa
I have a Red Hen. She looks like a NHR, only darker than some of the pictures I have seen. But not as dark as a RIR, and she has striped bright red and brown hackles. She is a great little layer. In her first week of laying, she has laid 5 eggs. What a girl, right? Well, she has begun (on her 3rd-5th eggs) to hide to lay her eggs and remains sitting on them until I finally find her hiding place in the yard and carry her and her nice warm egg back to the coop. She doesn't want me to take the eggs. I think if I let her she would stay on them as long as she could.

Has anybody else got any experience with a newly laying pullet going broody?

does she run around with her wings spread out and clucking?, if she is displaying broody behavior than she is likely broody, ive had hens do that and eventually give up, though it seems my pure bred bantams are more persistant and stubourn when it comes to sitting on nothing than my free range yard birds are.

ive always heard mutts are smarter, they know they cant hatch shavings

I feel your frustration. I have a white silkie that is nearly broody all the time. Every day and sometimes more times a day if I cannot see her out with the other girls I take her out of the nesting box and out into the yard with the other girls. It's almost like a game to see who will win. Last year (08) I finally decided to let her raise some chicks. She was such a wonderful surragate mom I worried if she would let them go. But she did. After 2 weeks though she went broody again!!
All you can do is keep removing her from the nest, and to take the eggs out from under her. With eggs to sit on it just gives her more of a reason to sit, so take them!
Good luck.

barnie.gif
fl.gif

Last edited:
She is sitting on eggs, at least until I take them out from under her. Then she seems to go about her daily routine.... But it includes pulling feathers to add to her "hidden" nest of the next day. She spends a lot of her day fussing over her nest. Moving longer pieces of hay in to help build it up...etc.

Back
Top Bottom