Broody silkie

MoonFaeree

Chirping
Apr 21, 2018
I’m super new to chickens. We got our chicks last March. my little pullet (10 months) wants to be a mommy. She has the worlds smallest eggs. She can comfortably fit two of my other girls eggs under her. I’d say those are large-xl in size. I ‘could’ get my silkie some fertile duck eggs to hatch BUT she is so tiny I worry if she can hatch at least 2 duck eggs... I know that might sound weird but from what I’ve read hatchlings need a buddy. I don’t think she could handle 3 duck eggs.... BTW these ducks are from a local pond. Meaning .5 miles away from my house. My ‘idea’ would be get 2 fertile eggs give them to my silkie to hatch and then (idea is very muddy at this point) give them back to their duck family. But my worries are as follows: how or when do I reintroduce the ducks back to their pond? How much if any will that mess the ducks up? Can my little silkie teach a baby duck how to forage properly? Or would this be a huge disservice to the ducks and my silkie?? I’ve tried bringing her out of the nest box and she goes right back in there, even without eggs to sit on. She won’t even roost at night. She sleeps in the nest without eggs. I put her on the roost and she just goes back to the nest box :( so sad for her.

I think it would be a disservice to the ducks. They would be orphanes.
My silky had 13 chicken eggs, long story but hatched 6. My other broody silky I gave 1 chick, it doesn’t seem to have a problem and has joined the other 6 week olds now.

I’m pretty sure, not 100% because it’s a Silky, you can give her a little piece of baby aspirin and she’ll come out of it. I used to do it with my regular old pullets.

Are you talking about the 88mg tablets? How much is a little piece? Thanks so much.
I think it would be a disservice to the ducks. They would be orphanes.
My silky had 13 chicken eggs, long story but hatched 6. My other broody silky I gave 1 chick, it doesn’t seem to have a problem and has joined the other 6 week olds now.

I’m pretty sure, not 100% because it’s a Silky, you can give her a little piece of baby aspirin and she’ll come out of it. I used to do it with my regular old pullets.

A baby aspirin, see how little she is a little piece or desolve one in water and let her drink a little I think that’s what I did. Never with a silky though. Also don’t be afraid to pray.
Are you talking about the 88mg tablets? How much is a little piece? Thanks so much.[/QU

Back
Top Bottom