Brown Leghorns: Pics, Info, and Resources

Pics
Often the males gets their feathers more slowly, but their combs more quickly.

So, I would guess that you have 3 boys. :hugs

Oh sweet baby j!!!!! :eek:

I looked again and they all have combs!!!! No way I have 5 cockerels!!! :th

Any thing else I can do to tell the difference? They all have tail feathers, a pinkish colored comb. They are 16 days old. :idunno

Edited: Ok I looked again and the 2 with the most prominent combs, their wing feathers and back feathers have a slight curl to them.

Hummmmm, not sure about a slight curl to wing feathers meaning anything. :confused:

But the males usually grow the combs faster and their combs color up first.

That would be HORRID, if all five were boys! :eek: may it not be so!

M
Oh sweet baby j!!!!! :eek:

I looked again and they all have combs!!!! No way I have 5 cockerels!!! :th

Any thing else I can do to tell the difference? They all have tail feathers, a pinkish colored comb. They are 16 days old. :idunno

Edited: Ok I looked again and the 2 with the most prominent combs, their wing feathers and back feathers have a slight curl to them.

You will know for sure by 4 weeks. The males combs are obviously bigger by that point. The females combs will stay small untill they are getting ready to lay, then they grow & turn red. The breed is known for their huge combs!

Sadly one of my leghorns passed away...I did what I could to help it but I believe it was beyond help. Thankfully the other 5 are strong and healthy...

My Question:

3 of the 5 are showing combs. Is that an indication of males? Or do males mature slower than females and those are females?

I have Brahmas and the male matured way slower than the females.
Thanks

If they are brown leghorns look at the breast feathering as it starts to come in. Black feathers mean cockerels.

Last edited:
Just curious... I have 3 brown leghorns in my flock along with RIR's and wyandottes. It seems they are very shy/skittish in comparison to my other girls. The RIR's and Wyandottes come running to me and can't wait to be picked up and petted. The BL's, not on your life! Is this normal for the breed? Or do I need to try to socialize them (if possible)?
1f414.png
2764.png

Wyandottes tend to be very laid back, and RIR can be that way too.

Leghorns are never like that.

Mine are VERY food motivated as well as perpetually curious.

So.... I think that with time they will come when you call with food treats, but they will never be like your other breeds.

If you want some advice on sexing them on boys there is a white spot on the top of their head and I have two they are it one is red and on is brown and only one looks like a chipmunk. :barnie

Last edited:
From pictures that I saw, light brown leghorns looked easy to sex.

I couldn't find any good pictures showing male and female dark brown chicks.

Their stripes aren't quite the same as with the light brown.

However, none of mine have a white spot on their heads. They are all chipmunk pattern. Some are overall darker than others, and some have lighter stripes than others.

I though that the Danish Brown Leghorn was a production strain. How did they determine they are show quality? I would be very skeptical about the breeder's knowledge of exhibition standards.

Danish Brown Leghorns are the production Brown Leghorn. They lack the type and feathering of the exhibition Light Brown Leghorn. Danish Brown Leghorns are crude in stippling and have much shafting, both of which are color faults....

P.S. I have several production Brown Leghorns in my flock. They are very popular layers but quite different from the show quality Light Brown Leghorns. :)

I though that the Danish Brown Leghorn was a production strain. How did they determine they are show quality? I would be very skeptical about the breeder's knowledge of exhibition standards.

P.S. I have several production Brown Leghorns in my flock. They are very popular layers but quite different from the show quality Light Brown Leghorns. :)
Danish Brown Leghorn are known for their Exceptional laying traits, Dr. Punnett used them as the foundation stockfor the legbar, Danish leghonrs are not known as Show Quality Leghorns

Back
Top Bottom