Leghorn hen x Ameraucana roo will straight combed offspring lay colored eggs??

JesWith3

Songster
Jul 25, 2022
Hi all!
We hatched out eggs from a White Leghorn hen bred with an Ameraucana (not easter egger, not Americana) roo. The resulting offspring look like a White Leghorn with sporadic and random black splashes scattered here n' there. There is ONE girl offspring with a pea comb, the rest all have straight combs (and light legs/feet). Firstly, if you have experience with this cross, might you share pics of yours? 2ndly, for those of you with this cross, do any of your straight combed hens lay colored eggs? Or do I have a legion of white egg layers? I got the Ameraucana cross in hopes of having a colorful egg basket. This hatch also resulted in an EE hen x Ameraucana roo cross; a little pea comb, strawberry blonde...boy ((sigh)). So, yeah, I guess I'm just hoping at least one or two of you can give me some hope that not all of my eggs will absolutely, neccessarily be white. Thank you all.

I would be inclined to go by leg color as that has been a good predictor for me. I have two hatch mates that are from a rir hen x Easter egger. One has straight comb and one has pea comb. They are almost identical except for that. They both have green legs and lay green eggs.

Straight comb or pea comb has no bearing on egg color. :]
Well that is certainly reassuring. Thank you. I guess I allowed myself to get caught up in what I read about pea comb and the blue egg gene being closely linked. Thank you for your input.

Thank you. Can you tell me if it would be a decent indicator by now at about 6 weeks old or if that is something that could continue to change as they age? As it stands, all of the Leghorn x Ameraucana crosses that look identical have light colored legs ((sigh)). Fingers crossed for at LEAST one colored egg layer out of the bunch! Thank you for your input.
I would be inclined to go by leg color as that has been a good predictor for me. I have two hatch mates that are from a rir hen x Easter egger. One has straight comb and one has pea comb. They are almost identical except for that. They both have green legs and lay g

Well that is certainly reassuring. Thank you. I guess I allowed myself to get caught up in what I read about pea comb and the blue egg gene being closely linked. Thank you for your input.
There's blood tests you can do but I don't know the cost. The hens from this brood should all lay pale blue if the Ameracauna is pure and real. There are many pea combed breeds that don't lay blue and and straight comb breeds that lay blue. The best thing is it wait.

There's blood tests you can do but I don't know the cost. The hens from this brood should all lay pale blue if the Ameracauna is pure and real. There are many pea combed breeds that don't lay blue and and straight comb breeds that lay blue. The best thing is it wait.
Thank you. I appreciate your time and help.

As said above, they should lay pale blue as they now have the blue egg gene if father carries it. But it’ll be wait and see. This year I bred blue eggers and olive eggers to a barred rock roo who should carry brown egg genes. Pretty sure the blue x brown chicks will lay green. But the olive eggers and probably going to produce brown eggers. Have to wait and see. 🤷🏼‍♀️

As said above, they should lay pale blue as they now have the blue egg gene if father carries it. But it’ll be wait and see. This year I bred blue eggers and olive eggers to a barred rock roo who should carry brown egg genes. Pretty sure the blue x brown chicks will lay green. But the olive eggers and probably going to produce brown eggers. Have to wait and see. 🤷🏼‍♀️
Right on. Gotcha. Thank you!

White leghorns lay white eggs unless I'm missing something.
Blue layer + white layer will result in light blue eggs. If daddy is pure, there should be no green.

Back
Top Bottom