Brown Rice

Pokey11

Chirping
12 Years
Aug 24, 2007
I buy organic brown rice and steam it for my chickens -- which they love!!! What I am wondering is -- how much protein is that?
I have no way to buy organic grain where I live, and try and grow greens year around for them, and than I give them some scratch and the brown rice daily. Helen in Las Vegas NV:D

Thanks -- actually it is more of a treat. They have a large variety of food - fruits - vegetables - greens. The brown rice is expensive so really could not give them as much as they would like. In the summer, when its over 110 here I usually give them cold pasta in the afternoon - a treat and hopefully cools them down just a little. They also have a misting system. Anyway glad to have that cleared up.

welcome-byc.gif

Is this in addition to a layer feed? Are they free-range? I would be concerned, that they are not getting enough protein, as they need about 16% protein in their diet, and all the items you have listed are much less than this. If you don't want to feed a formulated feed for some reason, you could ameliorate that by giving them low-salt fish, good quality cat food, meal worms or other high protein foods. Free range chickens can supplement with bugs etc...but they are harder to find in the winter.

Last edited:
Quote:
I put a half of a watermelon out in the summer when it's really hot. My girls go nuts. I figure it's added liquid as well as something cool!

Good idea -- I hate watermelon -- but if I can find it on sale -- I will gladly bring home the melon.

Back
Top Bottom