Bruised leg and/or possible mites?

maarijke

Songster
7 Years
Jun 23, 2016
Hen born 2.22.22
Lives in a completely enclosed Colorado coop and run. Never had any issues like this purple bleu leg before on any girl. Two separate runs w one fence line between 20 hens on each side.
This girl’s side HAS a roo. She may have bumble foot spots which I treated tonight w a spa soak. Rinse. Blow dry. Essential oil blend i have used in the past for curing bumble foot but never for her.

I did a lymphatic massage very gently below the bruising(?) area. It looks twice or three times the size of normal leg. Left is swollen right is regular.

We are at 6500’ above sea level. They get scratch. Oyster. Chicken feed w no amprolium. Its been snowstorms on the weekends and finally warming up during the week. They have one cozy coupe. Some plastic Adirondack baby chairs. Some tree branches on the ground. Roosting bars inside.

Could a heartily mating roo have pinned her down? Only noticed it today and immediately brought her into “chicken hospital” aka the big house- My bathroom.

Are those mites? They aren’t anywhere else except near her vent. Am I missing something and its just feathers?
Whats up w her bad leg?
What else do i need to do?
🙏🏽 thanks.

Attachments

• IMG_9031.jpeg
    IMG_9031.jpeg
    658.4 KB · Views: 25
  • IMG_9036.jpeg
    IMG_9036.jpeg
    693.2 KB · Views: 2
  • IMG_9027.jpeg
    IMG_9027.jpeg
    369.6 KB · Views: 3
  • IMG_9028.jpeg
    IMG_9028.jpeg
    653.6 KB · Views: 3
  • IMG_9025.jpeg
    IMG_9025.jpeg
    708.9 KB · Views: 3
  • IMG_9024.jpeg
    IMG_9024.jpeg
    816.4 KB · Views: 2
  • IMG_9023.jpeg
    IMG_9023.jpeg
    649.4 KB · Views: 2
  • IMG_9022.jpeg
    IMG_9022.jpeg
    925.4 KB · Views: 1
  • IMG_9020.jpeg
    IMG_9020.jpeg
    576.9 KB · Views: 1
  • IMG_9029.jpeg
    IMG_9029.jpeg
    909.6 KB · Views: 2
  • IMG_9033.jpeg
    IMG_9033.jpeg
    690.5 KB · Views: 2
  • IMG_9032.jpeg
    IMG_9032.jpeg
    649 KB · Views: 2
  • IMG_9035.jpeg
    IMG_9035.jpeg
    772.2 KB · Views: 2
I think it's lice eggs you're seeing. Most use Permethrin powder on the chickens and the coop for either mites or lice. Repeat in 10 days.

As for the feet, yep, that one foot looks like it's getting bumblefoot. You could try PRID (drawing salve). As for the bruising, roosters don't usually cause that. Could she have gotten her legs caught in the fence or on something? The bruising should go away in a couple of weeks but if it gets worse I'd try determine what's causing it.

Maybe cut down on the scratch for a while so they're eating more of their nutritious layer feed. I'd give them all some vitamin water every other day for a couple of weeks. We use primarily Poultry Cell for that. That may help the leg/feet issues. B-complex if you have some might also help. I'd give her a half of one of yours per day for a couple of weeks if you have some.

I think it's lice eggs you're seeing. Most use Permethrin powder on the chickens and the coop for either mites or lice. Repeat in 10 days.

As for the feet, yep, that one foot looks like it's getting bumblefoot. You could try PRID (drawing salve). As for the bruising, roosters don't usually cause that. Could she have gotten her legs caught in the fence or on something? The bruising should go away in a couple of weeks but if it gets worse I'd try determine what's causing it.

Maybe cut down on the scratch for a while so they're eating more of their nutritious layer feed. I'd give them all some vitamin water every other day for a couple of weeks. We use primarily Poultry Cell for that. That may help the leg/feet issues. B-complex if you have some might also help. I'd give her a half of one of yours per day for a couple of weeks if you have some.
I can do all that!! Thank you! Should i keep her separated from the big flock in her lone hospital metal trough w two heater lamps and food and water for a week? Or a few days or put her back w the others?

I can do all that!! Thank you! Should i keep her separated from the big flock in her lone hospital metal trough w two heater lamps and food and water for a week? Or a few days or put her back w the others?
I would also dust your other chickens rear ends as they may have those too.

I think it's up to you. They seem to thrive better with their flock than isolated, yet, we don't want them to get further injured either. If you think she can keep your foot bandage on, maybe let her go out with them, but that's your call on how you feel about it.

Back
Top Bottom