Buckeye Breed Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
Can you post some pictures of this cockbird? Does he free range outside in the sun all day? Walt has said that all birds of all colors fade in the sun, I would love to see some photos of these magical birds that never fade, assuming that is, that they do in fact range outside in the sun all day, rather than spend their lives indoors or under shade at all times. That being said, as I have stated before, some lines of Buckeyes do hold their color better in the sun than others (in my experience, Urch birds are the best I've found in this regard, which is why I added some of his lines to my flock.) But all birds fade in the sun, if they are exposed to it enough. Saying you have a non-fading bird is disingenuous if the bird never spends extended time outside, and is only let out for an hour or so every day. Here again is a photo of one of my hens, who spends time outside from morning 'til night, and she has pretty good dark color, despite the strong power of the sun to fade feathers of all colors (that's the Urch influence in her.) And here's one in the snow, from this past February: Let's see some photos please.
Back to that previous question you asked Laura. You make such a big deal about the current standard, I was just curious how it has changed over the years. That being stated, I was just making sure that the older versions actually can still apply. As far as "magical" birds that never fade; That pic that I posted is of a bird that free ranges and he doesn't look all that faded to me. Actually, I really don't notice much fading in my flock at all. It must be that lack of orange pigment in my flock....I don't know. I see the pics that you post, they look darker, but I can't help but wonder if the grass in the"bluegrass" state is always that neon green or has that pic been enhanced a little to make the bird look darker? A curious mind would like to know?!?!?

Regarding the bird that was in the snow. My guess is that bird just mounted her feathers in and therefore they aren't old enough to be faded and there they should be darker especially against a white background. If they wasn't you are probably doing something wrong?!?!

Regarding the bird that was in the snow. My guess is that bird just mounted her feathers in and therefore they aren't old enough to be faded and there they should be darker especially against a white background. If they wasn't you are probably doing something wrong?!?!

I presume you mean molt, not mount. I don't know about your birds, but mine don't molt in February. And I took the photo with the sun behind me, to show the detail in her feathers. Had I not she certainly would have looked even darker.

Last edited:
Or maybe the under color really does matter because it helps prevent sun bleaching or fading I the buckeye breed. Who knows?!?!
I have said it before, I'll say it again, the presence or lack thereof of slate bar does not influence fading of the color.

Some of my original birds from Urch had very dark color indeed, but the slate bar was nowhere near as strong as some of the lighter Brown birds I had. And just fwiw, slate bar should only be in the back feathers, according to the Standard. Having it in other areas of the body is not correct:

UNDERCOLOR OF ALL SECTIONS: Red, except for back which should show a bar of slate.

Ok. I know I'm new here.
But I do not like the idea of anyone adjusting their color spectrum for any reason before posting pics. It does not help anyone get a true idea and it causes drama. If the camera is doing that then I'd suggest getting a new one. Silly to have to even post this.
And second of all it is my understanding that all breeders of buckeyes should be working dually with Mrs Metcalfs thought process and (her standard) along with the "legit" sop.
Again why can't these two dueling thought processes not come together for the benefit of what we all want which is to have buckeyes which meet both, to be as popular as other breeds and on most every farm and suburban coop.
I stay quiet and shake my head and outright laugh at the ridiculous cat fight and downright FOWL behavior on here. It really does not honor who you are or your purpose with buckeyes to make most of us ignore these threads because its a soap opera.
You all need to play nice.

Ok. I know I'm new here.
But I do not like the idea of anyone adjusting their color spectrum for any reason before posting pics. It does not help anyone get a true idea and it causes drama. If the camera is doing that then I'd suggest getting a new one. Silly to have to even post this.
And second of all it is my understanding that all breeders of buckeyes should be working dually with Mrs Metcalfs thought process and (her standard) along with the "legit" sop.
Again why can't these two dueling thought processes not come together for the benefit of what we all want which is to have buckeyes which meet both, to be as popular as other breeds and on most every farm and suburban coop.
I stay quiet and shake my head and outright laugh at the ridiculous cat fight and downright FOWL behavior on here. It really does not honor who you are or your purpose with buckeyes to make most of us ignore these threads because its a soap opera.
You all need to play nice.

If you want to know if any jpeg picture has been modified, just pull it off to your desktop and check the exif info that is embedded in the jpeg. Those two photo's have not been altered in any significant way. Now that is pretty crazy too! Digital pics are all over the place in tone after they are posted online at 72dpi (lowrez). Don't ever go by color you see online or in a digital format..it is never true color. Yes, these online threads do get pretty crazy...no doubt about that.....

Nettie was a wonderful lady, but she has nothing to do with the APA Standard.....as you say the "legit" Standard is the one you find in the APA SOP. If you show in northern America, that is the only description used.

Walt

Last edited:
With all due respect.
In her own words the picture was altered to take out the magenta her camera threw.
And she said it was altered. I agree that online color is all over the place
But when specifically debating color you do not change it or digitally enhance it and then argue over it. SIlly!!!! Argument.
And again I was stating that to breed a buckeye the thought process should be the original one (Nettie) and the rest to follow the sop. Why is this concept so difficult to grasp on this website?

Everyone on here lives to argue and debate. How any chicken breeding or raising gets done ?? You all must be better multi taskers than I. But I'm just a simple Ohio girl with Kentucky roots.
What I hate is the learning you can receive on this thread gets lost in the middle of the rooster to hen posturing. And all the other chicks leaping in for their chirps on the debate. Good night! It's exhausting.

[COLOR=B22222]I presume you mean molt, not mount.[/COLOR] I don't know about your birds, but mine don't molt in February. And I took the photo with the sun behind me, to show the detail in her feathers. Had I not she certainly would have looked even darker.
Gotta love "smart" phones and their autocorrect feature?!?! Yes, I meant molt. Actually my mature stock are finishing their molt in Feb. That is why I prefer shows in March, April, and May. The mature cocks are at their best feather during the months, IMO....but is just me. I wasn't poking at the bird. I actually thought her color looks nice.

[COLOR=B22222]As far as I know Joe, and Walt can confirm or deny, it's the current Standard that is used during judging, and to which we should refer when breeding our birds, not older versions. [/COLOR]

Of course it is, Walt doesn't need to come to your aid. My point is for this breed, older versions of the standard will work because very little to nothing has changed.

[COLOR=B22222]Your birds free range all day long? I was sure I had read that they were caged, or tied to barrels like stags. At least that's what you've said in the past. I guess you've changed things since then.[/COLOR]

When you have as many birds as I do, there are all kinds of penning arrangements. Yes, I do have tie cords and dog kennels, big lots for birds to free ranging (I have more than enough space to do all of this), breeding pens.....you get my point. Actually , tie cords are the equivalent to free range considering they have to deal with all of the elements. I keep all of my breeds in various pens, but that bird in the pic has been free ranging as all of my mature stock do.

Quote:
[COLOR=FF8C00]

[COLOR=FF8C00]I see the pics that you post, they look darker, but I can't help but wonder if the grass in the"bluegrass" state is always that neon green or has that pic been enhanced a little to make the bird look darker?[/COLOR]

[COLOR=B22222]The only color enhancement I do is to take out the extremely slight magenta cast that my camera leaves on every photo (not visible to the untrained eye.) Magenta, if you don't know, is actually a reddish color, so if anything I am removing extra red, not adding it, as you imply. I have not retouched that photo other than that at all.

As a professional photographer, (for the past 38 years, with my degree in photography), I am used to working under all sorts of conditions, including the very bright sunlight that was present that day in May. Perhaps you should come to Kentucky some day and see why it really is called the Bluegrass state, the grass here is amazing and breeds the very best horses in the world!

I'd love to see you at a show here, be sure to let me know when you decide to come to one, I'll be sure to attend as well, since I guess I won't be seeing you at the OH National this year, the biggest show in your own home state.[/COLOR]

If you are going to alter a pic, you can at least make it close. I spend a great deal of time in KY (remember.....I have gamecocks also ;) ). I'm very much familiar with state. If memory serves me right, I did ask you which shows you planned on attending and you never replied. As far as the ON is concerned; that is still some time away and I don't know what I'm going to do at this point. It certainly is the biggest but far from the best. Time will tell! I understand its all well and good to talk big and bad when the biddies aren't grown up and the older birds are starting their molt, but when it's time to put your feet to the fire, we'll see where you are then. I have nothing to prove because I've doing it for the past couple of years. Where have you been? Don't you worry your little self, I'll be down in your neck of the woods soon enough.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back
Top Bottom