Buckeye Breed Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
Chris, I agree with you except I would say that as soon as someone starts breeding their birds, they offspring are from their "line". I draw this distinction because, reducing it to the ridiculous, suppose someone picked the two worst birds they could out of a bunch of eggs they /hatched from So-and-So Top Joe Breeder. It would not be fair or just to go back and say, "These are birds from Top Joe Breeder's" line.

Now the "strain" would still be there. My experience has been that the majority of folks do not understand the difference between line and strain. And that doesn't just apply to Buckeyes but many, if not most, breeds.

God Bless,

Chris, I agree with you except I would say that as soon as someone starts breeding their birds, they offspring are from their "line". I draw this distinction because, reducing it to the ridiculous, suppose someone picked the two worst birds they could out of a bunch of eggs they /hatched from So-and-So Top Joe Breeder. It would not be fair or just to go back and say, "These are birds from Top Joe Breeder's" line.

Now the "strain" would still be there. My experience has been that the majority of folks do not understand the difference between line and strain. And that doesn't just apply to Buckeyes but many, if not most, breeds.

God Bless,
At what point would a line become become a different strain?

At what point would a line become become a different strain?

I am not sure I have an answer to that except what Don Schrider has said a strain is:

Quote:

As such, I see a strain as being "blood-related" (i.e. traced to the same original source such as Urch) but of course, lines may look different based upon breeding decisions.

God Bless,
I generally agree with you but I just don't believe a person breeding one time could claim to have a "line" of their own. What they would have is just the breed from so-and-so's line where the new person made a bad breeding decision but it would not be a line -- just some Buckeyes from one bad decision. I can make a mistake in breeding myself (and have made mistakes!) -- or I discover that a good bird doesn't necessarily throw good offspring (for whatever reason) or a cross of these strains or lines does not work -- it just means we try something else -- not that we are creating different lines with each mistake.

One of my Thanksgiving-hatched pullets this morning, a little poofy from the cold (sun wasn't above the mountains yet) . Sired by the male in my avatar (from Shumaker Farms) .

Chris, If you have any pictures of your Roosters. Please post them. I think they are Awesome!
smile.png

Dan

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back
Top Bottom