Buckeye Breed Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
Quote: Thanks for sharing your story. North Dakota -- beautiful country-- I love those plains. I think you will come to love the breed. Buckeye chicks and adult Buckeyes seem to be consistent everywhere in how they behave, how they thrive, their personalities.

Hey everyone I dont have Buckeyes but I am interested in the breed. I am interested in raising them primarily for me as an alternative to the Cornish Cross. Can anyone tell me how long Buckeyes take to get to a good butcher weight? And how much can I expect to get out of a dressed bird?. Thank You :eek:)

My new chicks are still doing well -- they are so active. They came from Pathfinder's farm and all 25 arrived alive and very healthy. I just love the color of the chicks, and the variation -- some lighter, some darker. We are having a cold snap, so I've made sure they are keeping warm. I've discovered they like really fresh food -- when their feeder starts getting low, they aren't interested. I give what's left in the feeder to the adult birds, fill their feeder up, and they start eating again. Glad the weekend is here so I can spend more time looking at them.

Becky in NoDak

Quote:
Some people harvest their birds at 16 weeks of age (and breed for rate of growth first). I usually harvest mine at about 18-20 weeks. The dressed weight of my cockrels at this age is usually 3.0-4.0 lbs.

Champion American & Reserve Grand Champion Large Fowl
Greenville, OH April 28 & 29, 2012. Just under 1300 birds exhibited (about 500 Large Fowl)
Judges: Paul Monteith, Tim Bowles, Eric Englesman. Monteith judged american class

Champion American & Reserve Grand Champion Large Fowl
Greenville, OH April 28 & 29, 2012. Just under 1300 birds exhibited (about 500 Large Fowl)
Judges: Paul Monteith, Tim Bowles, Eric Englesman. Monteith judged american class

Congratulations!!!! What an awesome day!!! That's a very happy girl with a great looking buckeye!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back
Top Bottom