Buff Cochin GENDER ID PLEASE

I'm not too familiar with Cochins, but based on how red and developed this chicks' face is already, I would say that you may have a boy.

My wife thinks rooster as well.

I have another chick which is 1 day younger than this cochin, it's a Blue or Lavender Silkie and it's Crowing every morning now..

And the 2 silkies are picking on this cochin because of its red comb.

I'm going to be getting rid of the 2 little silkies, i'm not a fan of their timidness and picking on my cochin isn't gonna fly!
If this buff cochin is a rooster then he needs to man up and start taking up for himself when the silkies peck him and chase him.

Can anyone tell me how large a BUFF COCHIN Rooster gets ?
It's hard to find alot of info on BUFF COCHIN'S, I see alot about Buff Orpingtons and very little on these Cochin breeds
Does it get anywhere near as large as an orpington?

I have 7 cochins....4 hens and 3 roos...hatched on June 1st 2012, who are much larger than my buff orpington and barred rock hens. They are very nice birds, but they eat a lot! Mine get along fine with my silkies. I really like both breeds!

My Cochin rooster (black) weighed in at nearly 15 lbs. He's was a HUGE, silly, lovable ball of fluff. As for your Silkies, mine were that way too. They used to pick on all the other chicks in the brooder, but now they are sweet as pie. If you were planning on keeping them penned with that Cochin boy, its probably a good idea to get rid of them, however. If he tries to breed them (if they're girls), he could do them some serious harm bc of the size differences...
Nikki

My Cochin boy easily weighs 15 pounds. He's the most amazing rooster. He is the master and commander of his flock, and is a benevolent leader. He allows other roosters in (as long as they don't try to mate with his girls). I have a mixed flock of LF and Bantams. He's equally good with my silkies and Bantams. I love "Puff", I actually moved just so I could keep him. I say if push comes to shove get rid of the silkies and keep your Cochin. You won't regret it.

Back
Top Bottom