Buff Laced Wyandotte Rooster?

Papa Mel

In the Brooder
9 Years
Oct 29, 2010
North Georgia
Is this a buff laced wyandotte rooster? It was given to me by a lady who got it from a guy who breeds blue laced red wyandottes. She thought it was a BLR "splash". But from the pictures that I have seen from the UK about buff laced wyandottes, it looks like them.
Hopefully there are some Wyandotte breeders who can help me out. Thanks. Papa Mel

Last edited:
It's splash.
Black is the base color. Blue is a single dilute of black. Splash is a double dilute of black.

Buff is a whole nother set of genetics and a very different look. That bird is black based, not brown.

Thank you Frizzle 13 for responding to my post. I have tried to find a Buff Laced Wyandotte hen to go with him but no luck. Someone told me that if I breed him to my Blue Laced Red hens that I will get Buff Laced chicks. What do you think? or Is there another option? Thanks again for any information. Papa Mel

Notice the blue in your roosters tail? That's because he is a BLRW of the splash variety. Just about everything I could find about buff laced dottes pretty much states that they are splashes. Breed him to a splash hen and you'll get all splashes. The more you breed the splashes, they more washed out they'll get. Leaving the red lacing over white....
That's my not-so-expert opinion on it anyway.
Nikki

Last edited:
Notice the blue in your roosters tail? That's because he is a BLRW of the splash variety. Just about everything I could find about buff laced dottes pretty much states that they are splashes. Breed him to a splash hen and you'll get all splashes. The more you breed the splashes, they more washed out they'll get. Leaving the red lacing over white....
That's my not-so-expert opinion on it anyway.
Nikki
X 2.

My rooster, Whiski, looks similar to yours and I also am not sure what breed he is. He showed up at our place last summer and decided to stick around so we got him some Black Sex Link girlfriends. That's one of them in the back ground. My rooster was guessed a Splash Laced Red Wyandotte but he is mixed with something that has partial feathering on the legs. He has partial feathering a couple of his offspring has partial feathering. I have all sorts of colors from his offspring including a really pretty black cockeral that has deep purples and green on his wings and tail as well as 3 red pullets, one with some black streaked through her tail,one with very slight white streaked her body and one that's a tye dye apricot color. So whatever he is, he sure throws color and good size on my Black Sex Link hens. Will you breed your rooster? would love to see what kind of babies he gives you
thumbsup.gif

Back
Top Bottom