Buff orp & EE Gender help please?

jmjanda0624

In the Brooder
Apr 24, 2015
Hesperia, California
They're about 5 weeks old. We were told female but not sure. Thank you!

Your buff orpington looks to be a pullet. The EE is definitely a cockerel. Easter egger pullets have a consistent pattern in their feathering. And if they are multicolored the colors blend gradually from one to the next. Cockerels have splotchy coloring and eventually get red splotchy feathers on their wings. I had one last year that turned out to be a cockerel. They are pretty easy to sex. Here are pics I took when they were young. The close up of the feathers shows the red on the wings. And in the full body shot you can see the splotchy colors: the white spots randomly in the upper part of the wing. The red didn't start coming in until he was a few weeks older. My EE was tougher to figure out this young. Yours has VERY splotchy coloring and it is definitely a cockerel. Sorry.

Here is a pullet. Notice the consistent patterning and gradual color change.

And here is one of my buff pullets. Mine had a little pink under the chin, but didn't get red until they were ready to lay.

For a complete stab in the dark, I would say the darker one's male and the lighter one female, but only for one (unreliable) factor: shorter tail feathers in male.

But as Chicken Girl says, take some more pics in a couple of weeks.It'll be interesting to see what they become. :)

Back
Top Bottom