Buff orp & EE Gender help please?

Your buff orpington looks to be a pullet. The EE is definitely a cockerel. Easter egger pullets have a consistent pattern in their feathering. And if they are multicolored the colors blend gradually from one to the next. Cockerels have splotchy coloring and eventually get red splotchy feathers on their wings. I had one last year that turned out to be a cockerel. They are pretty easy to sex. Here are pics I took when they were young. The close up of the feathers shows the red on the wings. And in the full body shot you can see the splotchy colors: the white spots randomly in the upper part of the wing. The red didn't start coming in until he was a few weeks older. My EE was tougher to figure out this young. Yours has VERY splotchy coloring and it is definitely a cockerel. Sorry.

Here is a pullet. Notice the consistent patterning and gradual color change.

And here is one of my buff pullets. Mine had a little pink under the chin, but didn't get red until they were ready to lay.

Your buff orpington looks to be a pullet. The EE is definitely a cockerel. Easter egger pullets have a consistent pattern in their feathering. And if they are multicolored the colors blend gradually from one to the next. Cockerels have splotchy coloring and eventually get red splotchy feathers on their wings. I had one last year that turned out to be a cockerel. They are pretty easy to sex. Here are pics I took when they were young. The close up of the feathers shows the red on the wings. And in the full body shot you can see the splotchy colors: the white spots randomly in the upper part of the wing. The red didn't start coming in until he was a few weeks older. My EE was tougher to figure out this young. Yours has VERY splotchy coloring and it is definitely a cockerel. Sorry. Here is a pullet. Notice the consistent patterning and gradual color change. And here is one of my buff pullets. Mine had a little pink under the chin, but didn't get red until they were ready to lay.
Thank you all so much! Thank you for the pictures, no need to be sorry. We love him no matter what and our neighbors will get over the noise lol. Thank you!

Personally I would not put my entire egg basket in on the belief that red in the wings or uneven coloring makes them a male. My white hen with red wings would be surely disappointed to know she should be crowing and making a ruckus out of everything. (She is an EE with very green legs by the way)

She was about 5 weeks old in this pic. She was hatched the last week of Feb this year so that makes her almost 13 weeks old now. No crowing or attempting to crow. We have been socked in with rain for the last 5 or 6 weeks and I have not gotten new pics but need to. She has a lot more red on her head and shoulders now but the main body is still quite white.

. About 8 weeks. Pullet? I guess yes but could use second opiniond

Back
Top Bottom