Buff Orpington, Male or Female? (pic heavy)

This is my favorite chicken out of them all, it's super loving and has a beautiful golden shine to its feathers. I have no idea about tail feathers, saddle feathers, etc so I have no idea how to sex chickens. I got this one along with 3 of its siblings from a local breeder when they were a week old and she said I would have to wait to sex them. 3 survived and I'm almost positive the other 2 are girls but this one I'm not sure about. They all look identical but this one is just sooo much prettier then the other 2 so I thought I would ask my fellow BYCs to help me with it. Is it a male or female? It's about 7 weeks old now. Also is it show quality?

IMGP2713.jpg

IMGP2712.jpg

IMGP2711.jpg

IMGP2710.jpg

IMGP2709.jpg

IMGP2707.jpg

Your post is helping me hold on to a little bit of hope for our BO. We have all different breeds so it makes it hard to compare, but I am thinking it is not looking good. Nugget is just shy of 4 weeks.

Wow! I just saw this thread. Seeing those pics at the beginning I would have bet it was a Roo. I'm glad you kept her. Hopefully you will get some eggs soon!

I am new to buffs... but my rooster had much larger waddles and comb.... this looks like my girl at 8 weeks...don't think its a cockerel ... I'm betting a pullet

Last edited:
I have a question about my own 3 Buff Orpingtons that were bought as hens at about 15 weeks of age. They all looked alike when purchased, but now, a month later, I am having suspicions that 2 of them might be roosters as their wattles and combs hav become quite pronounced, and they look like they might be developing saddle feathers. I am a novice to raising and identifying chickens. Can someone give me the lowdown? Here are some pictures:

Pumpkin

Henrietta

Penny, on the right. Notice the difference in comb and wattle with Pumpkin.

Any ideas?
Thanks!

This thread gives me hope! I only have one BO but she/he has had a legit comb from three days!

2 weeks in this picture. So we'll see!

Back
Top Bottom