Buff Orpington-Rooster or Hen??

MyTDogs

Songster
10 Years
Jun 24, 2009
Sunny Seminole County, FL
Hi All,

I got my chickens 2 weeks ago from a friend and I thought I had 3 hens (that was our plan anyway). But one "hen" is larger and has a larger comb and maybe some longer tail feathers...Here is a link to some pix I took this morning. I haven't had any crowing yet & they were hatched around Dec 4th...

https://plus.google.com/photos/106876049347592451322/albums/5733915835257812545

Thanks for any advice for this newbie!

Cindy in FL

Oh dear, not really wanting to be the voice of dissention or anything, but.... I'm not so sure that's a pullet.
hide.gif
(talking about the OP's post, not CorrineP's pic's) Those legs/feet, their huge! And I'm not sure but it seems like I see the beginning of saddle feathers and stringy hackle feathers. And maybe even sickle feathers in the tail.

Farm girl- that is what I was noticing the HUGE feet-legs. I really hope you & I are wrong...don't really want a roo. I will try & get some pix of the other 2 girls for comparison in a bit if the rain stays away.

Thanks everyone for your opinions, they are all very much appreciated.
big_smile.png

BTW, when might I expect to see eggs?

Cindy in FL

Oh well, he or she is nearly 19 weeks old, right? You will know for sure before long! I know my buff orps will have me guessing until the last minute. I feel like I change my mind every week.

Well...just to pipe in here My buffs are 16 weeks TODAY and well I have three two have waddles one bigger than the others...I have been researching all over to see if a Roo or a Hen One Ms. Sally has no red marks at all and is smaller than the other two. We thought Ms. Sally was a little different than the rest. Today was the day of all telling tales both the waddle Buffs ROO! Yup standing tall puffed up chest and feathers back ROO! Cock a Doodle Doo I tried to tell my spouse that maybe they are mimickers of the Roo down the road we hear all the time. Just last night they were making full Hen noises like they just laid an egg. But today they Roo! I am so sad for we now have to kill the Roos. I hope they make good eating?

I know this is an older thread, but I have 3 English orpingtons chickens- a mom and her 2 babies- and I'm realllly struggling in sexing! I don't know exactly how old any of them are. I got them in october. The first picture is when I got them so You can see the size of the babies at that time. If I Remember correctly they were 2/3 months old, they look smaller in this picture than they were. It's currently February, and I *might* have 3 ladies, but one of them is pretty androgynous. I have looked up so many pictures and read so many threads but I really can't figure it out. A lot of English orpingtons roosters barely look different than the hens! And there really slow maturing too. He/she has a brighter comb than the others, but it's not really that much bigger. bigger. Stance is much like the girls, but the chest seems more "barrel"y than the others. Hoping for some responses! One of the girls just randomly molted a bunch of butt feathers too, you can kinda tell in some pics. I have plenty more if needed. P.s. Included a picture of the mom who is chocolate, and the chicken in question is the one with more white. Thanks!

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom