Buff Orpington-Rooster or Hen??

MyTDogs

Songster
10 Years
Jun 24, 2009
Sunny Seminole County, FL
Hi All,

I got my chickens 2 weeks ago from a friend and I thought I had 3 hens (that was our plan anyway). But one "hen" is larger and has a larger comb and maybe some longer tail feathers...Here is a link to some pix I took this morning. I haven't had any crowing yet & they were hatched around Dec 4th...

https://plus.google.com/photos/106876049347592451322/albums/5733915835257812545

Thanks for any advice for this newbie!

Cindy in FL

Oh dear, not really wanting to be the voice of dissention or anything, but.... I'm not so sure that's a pullet.
hide.gif
(talking about the OP's post, not CorrineP's pic's) Those legs/feet, their huge! And I'm not sure but it seems like I see the beginning of saddle feathers and stringy hackle feathers. And maybe even sickle feathers in the tail.

Farm girl- that is what I was noticing the HUGE feet-legs. I really hope you & I are wrong...don't really want a roo. I will try & get some pix of the other 2 girls for comparison in a bit if the rain stays away.

Thanks everyone for your opinions, they are all very much appreciated.
big_smile.png

BTW, when might I expect to see eggs?

Cindy in FL

Oh well, he or she is nearly 19 weeks old, right? You will know for sure before long! I know my buff orps will have me guessing until the last minute. I feel like I change my mind every week.

Farm girl- that is what I was noticing the HUGE feet-legs. I really hope you & I are wrong...don't really want a roo. I will try & get some pix of the other 2 girls for comparison in a bit if the rain stays away.

Thanks everyone for your opinions, they are all very much appreciated.
big_smile.png

BTW, when might I expect to see eggs?

Cindy in FL

Well and it wouldn't be the first time I've seen a boyish looking youngster turn out to be a hen! So yes, hopefully we're wrong! Those legs and even the body shape have me very suspcious of that one though!

I can't remember when my Buff Orp started laying, it was right around 20 weeks I think.

CorrineP, wanted to tell you how pretty your hen is! She looks exactly like the one I had. I just lost her recently and I really miss her. Such pretty, fluffy birds!

Back
Top Bottom