Buff Orpington-Rooster or Hen??

Totaly roo. He has sickle feathers... but why hasn't he started crowing?... 4-8 months they will start laying. probably closer to 6 or 7 for Buff Orpingtons. I hope this helps

Thank you CAFarmGirl .. She Is a very sweet Girl but not very Sociable she wont Roost with my other Hens in the house, though she goes in to Lay her Eggs she is Partial to one Large Black Rooster and they Roost seperately with My Goats ; )

Thank you CAFarmGirl .. She Is a very sweet Girl but not very Sociable she wont Roost with my other Hens in the house, though she goes in to Lay her Eggs she is Partial to one Large Black Rooster and they Roost seperately with My Goats ; )

That's funny, mine was much the same way. She would roost with the flock but demanded her space, no snuggling! I also have two other chickens who refuse the coop. They moved out and roost in my goat barn too!

Aeropennchick: On your two, I would hazard a guess that maybe #1 is a roo? But only maybe for me. Hard at this age, not expert enough on BO's. #2 looks like a pullet to me.

Thanks for the guess! I have one definite salmon faverolles roo, one silkie that I'm suspicious of, and that one orp. This will be out of 21 chickens. I'm hoping they all get along! Otherwise, they are going to be looking tasty.

Well, while out working in the coop today, I heard some strange noise. Looked around & found it coming from the suspect roo. A loud squawk, a single note like the first note of the cock-a-doodle-doo type crow. He was just hanging around the girls as they foraged so nothing to freak him out or anything.

The other 2 girls(?) make more of a clucking /chortling sound most of the time. Still no eggs.

I guess an Egg or a Crow will let us know : )

Yeah, now s/he is attempting(?) to mate with one of the girls. So I am certain she is a HE. For now he can stay as long as he minds his manners. You can see how his attitude has changed as he's matured in my avatar pic....ladies friendly & visiting he is hanging back more aloof.

Well...just to pipe in here My buffs are 16 weeks TODAY and well I have three two have waddles one bigger than the others...I have been researching all over to see if a Roo or a Hen One Ms. Sally has no red marks at all and is smaller than the other two. We thought Ms. Sally was a little different than the rest. Today was the day of all telling tales both the waddle Buffs ROO! Yup standing tall puffed up chest and feathers back ROO! Cock a Doodle Doo I tried to tell my spouse that maybe they are mimickers of the Roo down the road we hear all the time. Just last night they were making full Hen noises like they just laid an egg. But today they Roo! I am so sad for we now have to kill the Roos. I hope they make good eating?

Back
Top Bottom