*Buff Orpington Thread!*

Thank you for this. Maybe I'm closer to getting an egg than I realized.

I have my hens out in one very large run. In there are two coops. A big coop where the adult hens sleep and lay. And then a little coop where the babies grew up and this was fenced off from the big girls until last week.

I came home yesterday and the babies (I know it was them because they still make baby sized turds) went into the big girls coop and absolutely trashed it. The scratched all the shavings into one corner more out the pop door of the coop. They destroyed every nest box kicking out eggs and shavings. Took me 20 minutes to clean up that mess. I can only assume they were in there investigating where they may want to lay an egg some day.
When the keeper is away, the peepers will play
big_smile.png

Hi all!
We just got 3 Orpingtons yesterday. We love buffs but the breeder didn't have any, so we got a black pullet (2 months??) and two spangled mottled chicks (3-4 weeks old???). Will post pics tomorrow, in case anyone else has a better guess about their ages.

We thought we'd get all lavenders from this breeder (& a couple buffs later from someone else), but in person they looked grayer than we expected, kinda drab.

The first bird I made eye contact with was a sweet little black Orpington we've named Black-eyed Susan, or Suzie for short. She's very sweet and reminds us of our long-lost super sweet runt Ginger. So far, she's been good with the two little ones. The occasional peck if they get in between her and her food, but overall she lets them rough and tumble at her feet and doesn't bat an eye, which is just what we were looking for.

Anyhow, since the only Orpingtons we've had were buffs, I'm just wondering if there are any personality differences or other differences, however slight.

Thanks in advance!!!

Hi all!
We just got 3 Orpingtons yesterday. We love buffs but the breeder didn't have any, so we got a black pullet (2 months??) and two spangled mottled chicks (3-4 weeks old???). Will post pics tomorrow, in case anyone else has a better guess about their ages.

We thought we'd get all lavenders from this breeder (& a couple buffs later from someone else), but in person they looked grayer than we expected, kinda drab.

The first bird I made eye contact with was a sweet little black Orpington we've named Black-eyed Susan, or Suzie for short. She's very sweet and reminds us of our long-lost super sweet runt Ginger. So far, she's been good with the two little ones. The occasional peck if they get in between her and her food, but overall she lets them rough and tumble at her feet and doesn't bat an eye, which is just what we were looking for.

Anyhow, since the only Orpingtons we've had were buffs, I'm just wondering if there are any personality differences or other differences, however slight.

Thanks in advance!!!

In direct sunlight many Lavenders just look grey. On a cloudy day or as dusk falls though they get purple.

Hi all!

Thanks in advance!!!
Since Orpingtons are known for being friendly, docile and all around nice birds, I wouldn't think there would be much difference in behavior, regardless of color.

Buffy napping with friends.
Awww...Buffy is a sweetie
love.gif

Big question for everyone who's willing to listen.

When did your buff(s) start laying? We have 2 18 week olds and they haven't started yet. Not sure if that's a good sign or a bad sign. Thanks.

Big question for everyone who's willing to listen.

When did your buff(s) start laying? We have 2 18 week olds and they haven't started yet. Not sure if that's a good sign or a bad sign. Thanks.
They will start to lay when they are ready
smile.png

There is no "set time" when a chicken begins to lay, 6months would be a could happy medium.

18wks is most likely too young for Buff Orpingtons. One of mine started around 25wks. the other was later around 28wks or so.

http://www.the-chicken-chick.com/2013/02/when-will-hen-begin-laying-eggs-what-to.html

They will start to lay when they are ready
smile.png

There is no "set time" when a chicken begins to lay, 6months would be a could happy medium.

18wks is most likely too young for Buff Orpingtons. One of mine started around 25wks. the other was later around 28wks or so.

http://www.the-chicken-chick.com/2013/02/when-will-hen-begin-laying-eggs-what-to.html

mine are 23 weeks and haven't started yet. They will when they're ready!
Should I have the egg box open? I opened it today thinking I would give them time to explore it and get use to it. Thanks.

Back
Top Bottom