*Buff Orpington Thread!*

Dragonlady, this might be an obvious answer, but are the "hanging" feathers on your roosters toward the rear the "saddle feathers"? I feel like your birds are the first I have seen an obvious difference in the feather patterns (helps with side by side pictures). I am clearly new to chickens and my buffs are not showing any clear signs (only 10 weeks old).
In the photo of the two cockerels, those are sickle feathers. Their main tail feathers have not grown out yet. This is a teenager stage. In the photo of Moose, the feathers behind his wings,that hang down over the ends of his wings, are the saddle feathers.Think saddle on a horse. The saddle feathers start where a saddle would fit.

Last edited:
Minnie's Egg Song
0.jpg

Henrietta is almost 6 months....cold here this morning so getting a little 'stretch' for a real SOP pose was not happening. tail is starting to really come in now. Love her head, comb, width and depth, rich color and tight wing carriage. I would not mind a bit more length of back though. My male (from the Dragonlady) will provide that and a perhaps just a tad more leg in her chicks. Definitely looking forward to hatching from them in 2014 hopefully.
wink.png

Still waiting for an answer to the question regarding other colors of orpingtons and their personality as compared to the Buff's. I tried to find the home page for Dragonlady but couldn't get there from here. Thank you.

If I click on her name (thedragonlady) it takes me to her profile, etc. but it does not answer my original question regarding personality traits of other colors of orpingtons or where to purchase SOBs.

If I click on her name (thedragonlady) it takes me to her profile, etc. but it does not answer my original question regarding personality traits of other colors of orpingtons or where to purchase SOBs.
I don't believe the color makes any difference in personality. In most cases it's the breed itself. The only exception I know of where breed color makes a difference is that Brown leghorns are not as good layers as white leghorns.

Back
Top Bottom