*Buff Orpington Thread!*

I am considering getting some new chickens and was considering buff orpingtons. Do they have a good tempermeant with other chickens and are friendly towards children? Or should I get something else?

I am considering getting some new chickens and was considering buff orpingtons.  Do they have a good tempermeant with other chickens and are friendly towards children?  Or should I get something else?

IMO Buff Orpingtons are the Golden Retrievers of poultry.

They are very friendly, easily trained to come when called. I've had them around older children, but they are wary of strangers, so they recognize individual people. They lay regularly.

If you chase them though...they'll never trust you again.

The first backyard chickens I had were Buff Orpingtons.

I am considering getting some new chickens and was considering buff orpingtons. Do they have a good tempermeant with other chickens and are friendly towards children? Or should I get something else?
They are EXCELLENT with other chickens and children as well :D Good layers, good mamas. Can't go wrong with buff orpingtons! We just added 4 pullets this spring and 2 are extremenly friendly and beg to be held, the other 2 are more stand offish, but will still let us pet them and they have never pecked us...unlike one of our Wellies...but I digress LOL! Anyway, yes buffs are awesome chickens!

Last edited:
They are EXCELLENT with other chickens and children as well :D Good layers, good mamas.  Can't go wrong with buff orpingtons!  We just added 4 pullets this spring and 2 are extremenly friendly and beg to be held, the other 2 are more stand offish, but will still let us pet them and they have never pecked us...unlike one of our Wellies...but I digress LOL!  Anyway, yes buffs are awesome chickens!  

I had a Buff Orpington that seemed to really like yo be held as well. Anytime I was in the yard, she'd follow me around, and if I stopped there she was wanting to be picked up.

My two buff orpingtons are now 10 weeks old. Sorry I don't have any pics :( but I do have a question :) when do buff orpingtons usually start laying eggs? I no it will probably be a while but I was just wondering.

My two buff orpingtons are now 10 weeks old. Sorry I don't have any pics
sad.png
but I do have a question
smile.png
when do buff orpingtons usually start laying eggs? I no it will probably be a while but I was just wondering.
Thanks
big_smile.png

One of my BO's started laying around 25wks. the other was around 28wks.

It can vary greatly, so there really is no set time they will start to lay.

I am considering getting some new chickens and was considering buff orpingtons.  Do they have a good tempermeant with other chickens and are friendly towards children?  Or should I get something else?

Like rock said, they really are golden retrievers. Mine run to me and follow me when I am outside and they look thru the windows when inside lol They love being around people and other animals.

Back
Top Bottom