*Buff Orpington Thread!*

:lol:   That's a cute description!  I love the Cochin's fluffy bussle they look like fancy ladies.

Great pics!  Could be they are starting to go broody.  I have one that "plays" broody, but has never officially been.  She puffs, clucks, has a fit if you look at her in the nesting box, will tuck eggs under her if you give them to her (I admit it, I take the porcelain eggs out of the other nesting boxes and give them to her just so I can watch her greedily tuck them under her:oops: - I find it endearing), but......she only stays this way for a couple hours tops. Next day same thing, oh well, maybe one day she will become official.
LOL, you sound like me, I think that at least one of them is working up to a broody. I love taking the eggs out from under them, just to watch them roll them back under, it is so cute. :p

Welcoming the new girl to the block today.

she was already being challenged as soon as she arrived. Had to put a fence in between them for now.

WYORP ROCK, I have two BO hens that do the same thing. They walk around singing and fluffed up, stay on the nest for a few hours until they lay and then they are out of there. They even tuck eggs under themselves as yours do. I also have a Speckled Sussex that does the same thing. Little teases.

With mine all I have to do is leave a pile of eggs in the nest box and within a few days one of them will take it seriously and plop their fluffy butts down on them.

My last broody hen went broody 24 hours after all 13 hens laid for the first time. I gather eggs in the late afternoon so they were there long enough to do their magic.

WYORP ROCK, I have  two BO hens that do the same thing. They walk around singing and fluffed up, stay on the nest for a few hours until they lay and then they are out of there. They even tuck eggs under themselves as yours do. I also have a Speckled Sussex that does the same thing. Little teases.

With mine all I have to do is leave a pile of eggs in the nest box and within a few days one of them will take it seriously and plop their fluffy butts down on them.

My last broody hen went broody 24 hours after all 13 hens laid for the first time. I gather eggs in the late afternoon so they were there long enough to do their magic.
I seriously have 2 BO's and 2 SLW's that are acting like they are going broody, but they have been doing it for about 1 week now, so they might just be trying to annoy me. :p

I seriously have 2 BO's and 2 SLW's that are acting like they are going broody, but they have been doing it for about 1 week now, so they might just be trying to annoy me.
tongue.png
Mine have surpassed that point. I just wish they would fish or cut bait. Except now we are well into October and winter isn't that far away.

I have one little BO hen who went broody two weeks before Christmas last year. After Lil'Girl hatched out her brood on the 11th of September I told DH that hopefully that was it for the broodies for the rest of the year. He just chuckled and said 'You are forgetting about Aggie. She always has her own agenda when it comes to sitting on eggs.'

Unfortunately I am afraid he is right.
hmm.png

Mine have surpassed that point. I just wish they would fish or cut bait. Except now we are well into October and winter isn't that far away. 

I have one little BO hen who went broody two weeks before Christmas last year. After Lil'Girl hatched out her brood on the 11th of September I told DH that hopefully that was it for the broodies for the rest of the year. He just chuckled and said 'You are forgetting about Aggie. She always has her own agenda when it comes to sitting on eggs.'

Unfortunately I am afraid he is right.:/
My goodness, December?? How did the chicks fair that one?

My goodness, December?? How did the chicks fair that one?

I was able to break her only to have her go broody again the first of February. I gave in that time and she hatched 8 healthy chicks. They did fine but it was hard on Aggie. She lost a lot of weight generating all that extra heat in cold temps. We finally rigged a heat lamp for her and the babies and the babies did well. It took forever for her to regain condition. The next time she went broody was in June and this time I hand fed her her favorite foods while she was on the nest. She was getting off regularly but not eating as much as she should. I let her eat crumbles on her own and fed her sunflower, oatmeal, mixed grains by hand and made sure she had pro-biotics and vitamins in her water. She fared much better that time. She kept her weight and conditioning up. I finally decided that she is just a determined little girl when she sets her mind to brooding.....maybe a little too determined for her own good.

Aggie doing what Aggie does best! Being a good mom. I just love her "I am a dragon. I will hurt you!" expression.

Last edited:
I was able to break her only to have her go broody again the first of February. I gave in that time and she hatched 8 healthy chicks. They did fine but it was hard on Aggie. She lost a lot of weight generating all that extra heat in cold temps. We finally rigged a heat lamp for her and the babies and the babies did well. It took forever for her to regain condition. The next time she went broody was in June and this time I hand fed her her favorite foods while she was on the nest. She was getting off regularly but not eating as much as she should. I let her eat crumbles on her own and fed her sunflower, oatmeal, mixed grains by hand and made sure she had pro-biotics and vitamins in her water. She fared much better that time. She kept her weight and conditioning up. I finally decided that she is just a determined little girl when she sets her mind to brooding.....maybe a little too determined for her own good.
Yeah, I hear those are quite a bother, but at the same time, I wish I had one!! Do they usually go broody more often when they are older?

Back
Top Bottom