*Buff Orpington Thread!*

Hi @Johnn nice to see you!

Bella and Daisy are looking lovely as usual
love.gif
(is that a BA photobombing in the back??
big_smile.png
)

Hi!! Thank you very much! :D she's a mix :)

I've got a BO that's been pretending to go broody for a month now. I really wish she'd actually stick with it!
th.gif

LOL!

I have one that has done this so long, I don't really remember when she started. I get so tickled at her. I do intentionally look at her (occasionally) when she is on the nest so I can get a good growl and screech. I just find it so funny.

NONE of my girls have gone officially broody and they are around 16 months. Maybe by spring I will get a broody. Still not sure when I'll be ready for little ones, but....
big_smile.png

Hi @Johnn
  nice to see you!

Bella and Daisy are looking lovely as usual:love   (is that a BA photobombing in the back??:D )

Hi @TanyaLlama

As @CuzChickens
  suggested you may want to try posting in the ''chicken behaviors and egg laying'' page as well.

Can you post some photos of your coop setup?   You have nesting boxes and roost boxes?  I'm having a hard time visualizing this.
Normally all fowl cooped together will want to lay in the same boxes, so you may have a hard time getting them to lay in a different place. 

Would also love to see your BO's and ducks!

Here are some pictures of my critters and the set up we have. Two of our three BOs are super curious and live to follow you around. It's a riot to trun around and see them following you :)

Quote: Nice coop! Lots of room.

I think your girls are so sweet and cute! They are sure are busy bodies and that curiosity can get them into trouble at times
smile.png

I think you will have a hard time getting them to lay eggs in a different place than the ducks. I looked at your other thread asking about egg i.d. I can't help you with I.D. on duck eggs, but when your BO's start to lay, they will be brown, so that will help tell the difference.

I like your ducks, it looks like they are all happy!

I let my momma hen Lil'Girl and her 8 week old chicks out with the main flock today for the first time. It was amusing to see this sweet, motherly little hen go all Chuck Norris on any hen and or young cockerel who came to investigate the new comers up close. It was pretty impressive to see her rolling around on the ground with my little Speckled Sussex hen when poor Speckles got to close to the little family. I have to admit that I didn't expect her to still be this devoted to her brood at this point in time. Lil'Girl was a sloppy if dedicated broody but she is one 1st class mother. I told my husband today that she would be the perfect hen to graft chicks to. Luckily, she went into molt shortly after her chicks hatched so I guess at least she is putting her time to good usage given she laid one egg before she went into molt.

So don't let these little hen's sweet nature fool you. They are tough characters when they need to be.

I let my momma hen Lil'Girl and her 8 week old chicks out with the main flock today for the first time. It was amusing to see this sweet, motherly little hen go all Chuck Norris on any hen and or young cockerel who came to investigate the new comers up close. It was pretty impressive to see her rolling around on the ground with my little Speckled Sussex hen when poor Speckles got to close to the little family. I have to admit that I didn't expect her to still be this devoted to her brood at this point in time. Lil'Girl was a sloppy if dedicated broody but she is one 1st class mother. I told my husband today that she would be the perfect hen to graft chicks to. Luckily, she went into molt shortly after her chicks hatched so I guess at least she is putting her time to good usage given she laid one egg before she went into molt.

So don't let these little hen's sweet nature fool you. They are tough characters when they need to be.

What a great story!

Thanks Wyorp Rock. Here is Lil'Girl and her babies at 6 weeks:

I got three pure blooded Buff Orp pullets and 4 OEGB pullets out of this hatching. The OEGB eggs came from our Amish neighbor. 7 pullets out of 7 chicks! What are the odds?

As you can see, Lil'Girl came by her name honestly. Her daughter is almost as tall as Mom.

Thanks Wyorp Rock. Here is Lil'Girl and her babies at 6 weeks:

I got three pure blooded Buff Orp pullets and 4 OEGB pullets out of this hatching. The OEGB eggs came from our Amish neighbor. 7 pullets out of 7 chicks! What are the odds?

As you can see, Lil'Girl came by her name honestly. Her daughter is almost as tall as Mom.
7 pullets out of 7 eggs!!! Maybe a record ?!?!

Cute babies and Lil'Girl looks so content
smile.png

Back
Top Bottom