*Buff Orpington Thread!*

Can't remember if I posted these or not, but here are a few of my Buff hens, getting ready to breed them!

Hi! Do you all think she's close to laying? She's 20 weeks. Her comb isn't shiny, still looks dry.

One of mine started laying at around 27-28 wks if I remember correctly. Your girl is getting there
smile.png
I know that it's soooooo hard to wait on that egg, it seems like it will never come.

She's lovely BTW, BO's have such sweet faces.

Here's some tips on what to watch for:
http://www.the-chicken-chick.com/2013/02/when-will-hen-begin-laying-eggs-what-to.html

Can't remember if I posted these or not, but here are a few of my Buff hens, getting ready to breed them!
Sweet girls!

She's getting close.  But if you are not getting lots of daylight this time of the year, she may not come into lay till the days get longer.  Or you supplement w/ light in the coop.

Thanks! I think I'll just wait on her without any extra light. It's been cool to watch them grow
2764.png

I don't light the coop either. But I do currently have some hens in a breeding pen that is not quite as warm so I've had a light on them and their production is great!

When my girls get laying age, I place a fake egg in each nesting box. They can peck those and eventually get the idea that that isn't good to eat. They also learn where to lay their eggs. I do have an occasional mystery with the fake eggs. One will be missing for a day or two, then show up, sometimes in another nesting box. When it is missing, I glean over the entire coop area to find it. No luck. I do not know what those girls do with it. LOL

I bought my buffs near the end of summer and they have laid an egg to this day (freeloaders lol). They just don't get enough sun now here in London :(. 7:30am sunrise and 4:30pm sunset.
Summer needs to hurry up :)

This is a copyrighted photo of my Monty, an English Buff Orpington.
Wringneck Poultry in Texas is using this photo without permission. They do not have any Buffs from me, so do not be mislead by this photo.

Back
Top Bottom