*Buff Orpington Thread!*

you have to be really careful with buffs and the heat bc they are cold hardy, their weight can be a factor if they are chunky and its hot so keep treats at a minimum is what i do we are expecting 120 f this week so i've done several things make sure the water is cool, that helps them the most.

my girls drink from the melting ice bottles as well as the container i set up for them, here is a video of the water system i did, you can see some of them and how they look when they are hot , to compare them to yours :)

Question about peppering in tail feathers. Our buff orpington hen has peppering in her tail feathers. I read somewhere that she would molt these feathers and the new ones may not have the peppering. This happened to anyone? My stepson showed her at our county fair and the judge awarded her reserve grand champion..she is a nice bird, but said the peppering was there for good.

you have to be really careful with buffs and the heat bc they are cold hardy, their weight can be a factor if they are chunky and its hot so keep treats at a minimum is what i do we are expecting 120 f this week so i've done several things make sure the water is cool, that helps them the most.

my girls drink from the melting ice bottles as well as the container i set up for them, here is a video of the water system i did, you can see some of them and how they look when they are hot , to compare them to yours :)

When I get home from work, I dump ice into our hens' water. I also refrigerate their table scraps if we are giving them any. Every little bit helps. Ours pant when they are hot as well. I saw on Pinterest that someone froze corn and water in a bundt pan and left it out. I thought I'd try that at some point. Of course...our freezer is jammed full.

You can put a fan out for them when it's hot too. I have one of those cheap box fans on a Xmas light timer so it comes on around 11am when it warms up and goes off around 7pm. I have one big 9lb BO who will come up to the fan when it comes on, turn around and put her tail towards the fan and put her head down and let the fan blow her fluffy bottom feathers about. I really need to get a little video of that cuz it's super funny.

You can put a fan out for them when it's hot too. I have one of those cheap box fans on a Xmas light timer so it comes on around 11am when it warms up and goes off around 7pm. I have one big 9lb BO who will come up to the fan when it comes on, turn around and put her tail towards the fan and put her head down and let the fan blow her fluffy bottom feathers about. I really need to get a little video of that cuz it's super funny.
Yes, please do!

Question about peppering in tail feathers. Our buff orpington hen has peppering in her tail feathers. I read somewhere that she would molt these feathers and the new ones may not have the peppering. This happened to anyone? My stepson showed her at our county fair and the judge awarded her reserve grand champion..she is a nice bird, but said the peppering was there for good.

The peppering in my BO's tail remained after molt. It's possible that yours may disappear after molting.

The peppering in my BO's tail remained after molt. It's possible that yours may disappear after molting.
Thanks, I THINK she will molt late this year so we will wait and see. She's a great layer, so we may just keep her and buy him another show bird. She doesn't have that typical friendly BO personality, though, so I'm not sure how crushed I'd be if she were rehomed to my brother's house as a laying hen. She has a bit of an attitude problem. :rolleyes:

Yesterday we had to put down my cute little super brooder. IMG_1012.JPG
What makes it worse is that I'm away 3000km away :(.

I thought the other chickens would've noticed but apparently they go on like nothing's happened lol.

Back
Top Bottom