*Buff Orpington Thread!*

Pics
I gave up on finding SQ Buffs locally, but did find some pretty good looking pullets Monday that are 5 months old. So now I have a cock that is OK, but not great, and 9 possible hens for breeding and trying to improve my own birds. I will select the best 3- 5 hens, but I am not sure what my priorities should be in selecting the hens. Is size or color more important? I know I have a problem with tails, and it will take multiple generations to correct. I am inclined to select for color and tails first. Am I on the right track? I do have some smaller hens that are about a year old with some black in the tail. I have read that they carry the best color genes, but they are small. Would you keep them with the breeders or move them to the layer pen?

cindy
Cindy,
I believe that I would select for size and Orpington type first. Color can come later. I don't know what your birds' tail problem is, but if you select the deepest bodied, biggest, WIDEST pullets, by that I mean wide in the rear end across the hips also, your tail problem may fix itself. A SMALL amount of "pepper" in the tails is OK if you breed to a clear tailed cock , but I would never keep small ones over larger birds, and I would not want a flock of hens with black in the tails.Photos would be helpful, especially with your "color problem".
Vickie

My Buff Orpingtons are 15 weeks old now and the roo-in-training is getting to be quite the man. He doesn't crow yet but has been caught tenderly grooming his Buff girls and even led the entire flock outside today when he noticed the outside temps were lower than inside. When I separated him briefly one day he called for his pullets desperately. Quite the gentleman and I just hope he stays that way, meaning I've got my eye on him. Those hormones have a long way to go yet and it's not that far to my kitchen if need be.

Fritter, 15 weeks

thedragonlady!! thanks so much!
I don't know why I get so worried sometimes, but you know how it goes
wink.png
BTW great orpingtons pictures everyone they are great chickens and I'm glad I happened in to them!!!

is it normal for buff orps to have longer tail feathers, and some with dark broen speckling in the tail? Is this a sign of cross breeding in the lines? At the moment I have one realy large hen at 4 months old she has a really fluffy tushy, but she also has some speckling in the tail.

is it normal for buff orps to have longer tail feathers, and some with dark broen speckling in the tail? Is this a sign of cross breeding in the lines? At the moment I have one realy large hen at 4 months old she has a really fluffy tushy, but she also has some speckling in the tail.
Please post a photo.

It is possible what you are calling brown specks is known as "smutt". This may disqualify a hen, but is valuable in hens producing show bird males. It creates a better quality Buff in its offspring. Did you get your hen from a hatchery or a breeder? Did the breeder breed to the Standard?

A couple of pics of the Best English Buff hen shown by Doug here at Connorsville today.
009jam.jpg

My RV Buff
She's a distant second to Doug's hen.
008vh.jpg
My system didn't post these pics; oddly, if I quote the post I can see the gorgeous girls. I am catching up on earlier posts. Sorry for the interuption.

Last edited:
My Buff Orpingtons are 15 weeks old now and the roo-in-training is getting to be quite the man. He doesn't crow yet but has been caught tenderly grooming his Buff girls and even led the entire flock outside today when he noticed the outside temps were lower than inside. When I separated him briefly one day he called for his pullets desperately. Quite the gentleman and I just hope he stays that way, meaning I've got my eye on him. Those hormones have a long way to go yet and it's not that far to my kitchen if need be.
I have 2 BO roosters, both about a year old now, two different lines. I've not had a problem with either of them--I actually have a lot of roosters free ranging. Only one should be soup. He is quick to defend his girls. Very annoying really. All the other boys just move out of my way. Wait and see, you may have no problems at all.

I'm hoping! I hear mixed things about roos. Some say the sweetest cockerels turn out to be mean roosters and some say never to hand-raise a cockerel. I didn't know he was a boy until WAY after I handled the chicks. All the Buffs were so sweet. Pretty much everyone is in agreement that Buffs are a sociable and tender breed so I have hope that he will be strong but tolerable. So far so good.

Back
Top Bottom