*Buff Orpington Thread!*

Pics
Does anyone have a pic of a Buff Orpington egg? I have 1 BO hen and the other 3 are production Reds. I cannot figure out who is laying which egg because they all use the same nesting box!!!
he.gif
Thanks!

It is doubtful you can tell the difference. Both aly the same type/size egg and shade varies by hen not breed. Here is one of ours we sued as acompariosn with a Blue egg and a commercial store egg.

545999_4287565475054_1513284185_n.jpg

The Blue egg is from our Arkansas Blues https://www.backyardchickens.com/t/624359/blue-egg-layers-from-unversity-of-arkansas

Last edited:
I just rescued 3 chickens. One, I believe, is a buff orpington. I was told that she is 1 1/2 years. She is a pretty shy and a little skittish. Her name is Buffy.
love.gif

Last edited:
This topic is so funny to look at because they all look the same!

Those of you who have quite a bit of buff orps, can you always tell them apart? HAHA

I just love mine. Debbie has quite the personality.... Always seems to be up to no good and tries to trick me all the time. She can always just make me laugh and shake my head by the little things she does.

Debbie looks just like most all of mine. If you tossed her into my flock, I would have a difficult time picking her out, but I have a mess of them.
I think if I only had three or four I could tell them apart.
Debbie looks like she found a home in chicken paradise,

This is one of our sweet girls.....Buffy, our Buff Orpington. We also have a Plymouth Barred Rock, Rhode Island Red, Welsummer, Easter Eggers and Silkies.

We are thinking of getting a rooster to protect the flock and were considering a Buff Orpington roo. They seem like a gentle breed and we wouldn't mind even getting a few more BO pullets and letting them actually brood their own eggs. Our Buffy has gone broody 4X this summer. She even made a great momma when we let her sit on a few Trader Joe eggs and adopted a feed store chick too.
My question is: Does anyone have experience with a BO rooster? (Pros or Cons) I really appreciate any suggestions.
smile.png

Here is Buffy with the 2 WL she hatched and the adopted Welsummer.

This is one of our sweet girls.....Buffy, our Buff Orpington. We also have a Plymouth Barred Rock, Rhode Island Red, Welsummer, Easter Eggers and Silkies.

We are thinking of getting a rooster to protect the flock and were considering a Buff Orpington roo. They seem like a gentle breed and we wouldn't mind even getting a few more BO pullets and letting them actually brood their own eggs. Our Buffy has gone broody 4X this summer. She even made a great momma when we let her sit on a few Trader Joe eggs and adopted a feed store chick too.
My question is: Does anyone have experience with a BO rooster? (Pros or Cons) I really appreciate any suggestions.
smile.png

Buff Orp cock birds are generally very gentle if they are from SOP flocks. No so with the hatchery ones who have something else in their family trees. My huge English imported BO rooster is as gentle as a kitten, but takes very good care of his girls.I think Monty would really like to be a lap chicken, which is a good thing due to his enormous size.. You can see the difference on my page.

smile.png

My BO cocks were just hatchery chicks, but have been very well mannered. I was surprised this spring when my favorite adopted my broody and her chicks and protected them from the other chickens. He has not been aggressive with breeding, and is good at alerting for danger and food. He may not be SOP, but I wouldn't trade him for anything.

cindy

I got my BO rooster a few weeks before he began crowing so didn't raise him from a chick. He is aggressive and jumps me, often for no reason. As soon as I can replace him with one I've hand raised I will. I really think it all depends on the bird and how they are handled as chicks. I have a Welsummer rooster that is the gentlest, easiest going chicken I've ever had. Even though I didn't raise him I can go out and pick him up and he doesn't make any fuss. He has never even flapped his wings at me or anything. But he was hand raised by the people I got him from. The BO rooster was from a flock of about 50 birds and not handled as a chick.

Back
Top Bottom