Buff Orpington x Barred Rock results (pics)

Pics
Ok, so I have some older chicks now from a BO roo and BR and then I have some from the same BO roo and 2 different Easter Eggers. This here is Sammy. I thought he was a she for a long time until he started crowing. He was born with a gold face and no spot on his head. He is going to be a beautiful rooster if I decide to keep him. His BO dad is aggressive. He has a green sheen on his black tail feathers that you can't really see in the pic.

What other hens do you have? I really don't think this bird came from a barred Rock hen, he has no barring.

He had barring when he was hatched for about 3 or 4 weeks or so then it was gone. The only other hen he could have came from would be an Australorp and I would think that if that were the case then he wouldn't have any white/silver on him and he wouldn't have had barring on him when he was hatched. I have another that is going to look just like him out of a younger hatch. I hatched the one in the pic out of an incubator because I didn't think any of my hens would go broody, but soon after one of them did so she hatched out 6. One of them looks like him and another roo will have the barring when older I think.

Please excuse the look of the coop trailer, we moved the trailer coop to the new place (someone else had it and some of our chickens over the summer) and apprently some of the roof boards were not up to the job because when it rained the next 5 days we had a river going thru the coop. The last 2 pics are after it was throughly cleaned out and re-bedded with shavings

These are two pullets from a BRxBO cross

The big Roo on the left i am told is a BR i am not so sure myself, the bars seem wrong.
The suspected Roo on the right is a BRxBO cross, on the left are the two pullets.

These are the two suspected BRxBO Roos on the back left and the "Barred Rock" Roo

This is the second year they BRxBO have been bred. What we noticed was all the hybrids have white legs and they all come out silver with a dusting of gold for us, regardless of male or female and both hens/roos bar. We have also noticed that around year 2 the hens get more gold comming in.

We plan on crossing BOxBR this year to see what come outs.

Last edited:
This is the second year they BRxBO have been bred. What we noticed was all the hybrids have white legs and they all come out silver with a dusting of gold for us, regardless of male or female and both hens/roos bar. We have also noticed that around year 2 the hens get more gold comming in.

We plan on crossing BOxBR this year to see what come outs.
you have to have a solid male and barred females to get sexlinked chicks that you can sex at hatch. BOxBR will give you all silver cockerels with black & gold pullets

you have to have a solid male and barred females to get sexlinked chicks that you can sex at hatch. BOxBR will give you all silver cockerels with black & gold pullets
We were less interested in the sexlink part and more in the growth and laying part....also just to see how they came out lol. They are only for egg production and Roos for meat so thats the focus atm.

The hybrids in the pics are only about 3 months old so still growing though i dont think they will get as big as the barred rock Roos. Doing the BOXBR cross will let us play with the sexlink option.

Chickaddict44-- She is beautiful. I did this cross and hatched 9 pullets and 5cockeriels 2 have gold heads and 7 have black heads. 1 has black spots on chest. I guess these variations are due to differences in the BR hens I got from Ideal Poultry. I sold 6 of the pullets and regret it now. I'm going to start incubating more next week. Did u have any of these variations in your pullets?

Back
Top Bottom