Bugs by Toms vent.. What are they ??

lydiagirl99

Songster
5 Years
May 31, 2016
Michigan (By The Thumb)
My tom I got 2 days ago seems to be having lots of leg problems as you can see in the video I posted. I do not know what's wrong and the only thing I can find is the bugs by his vent and bald spots on his chest. I have more pictures if needed.
0.jpg

Feet look fine but maybe swollen knees?

And these are the bugs.

The vermin at the vent appears to be some species of mites/lice. Any pyrethrin based pet spray should do, 4% range. If nothing else will provide immediate relief from greatest concentration (don't soak - fine layer) and then examine under wings/oil gland, etc) Need to treat while keeping turk on easily changed out bedding that can be burned (straw's fine). Blu-kote spray if skin of breast is badly abraded/blistered. The legs? Sure looks like sprung hips/serious dysplasia. If he'll eat grapes/sliced peaches chewable 81mg aspirins can be crushed/powdered and daubed on fruit (2.5 mg per pound tid - 81mg divided into 4 20 mg piles and so on - - have used doses up to 10mg per pound when dosing for "effect" but that's just me and YMMV considerably). Does he try to roost? Post vid of his standing up/lying down, maybe get more opinions.

Turkeys should not be house with or near chickens.The video does not look like a mite problem.They could have worms,all birds should be wormed 2 times per year.The 1st worming should followed up in 10 days to kill the cycle and the same for the 2nd worming.I raise pheasants so my timing is different.I worm in the spring before laying season around Feb and again in the fall around August or later if it's too hot.
In n.H.,Tony.

Turkeys should not be house with or near chickens.The video does not look like a mite problem.They could have worms,all birds should be wormed 2 times per year.The 1st worming should followed up in 10 days to kill the cycle and the same for the 2nd worming.I raise pheasants so my timing is different.I worm in the spring before laying season around Feb and again in the fall around August or later if it's too hot.
In n.H.,Tony.

If you live in an area where Blackhead is not a problem and allow plenty of individual space turkeys and chickens can be kept together without having disease problems. If you live in an area where Blackhead is a problem, then your advice is good.

They have toonnsss of space to roam. They aren't housed in tight spaces by any means. The Turkeys have since been put to sleep. I have no idea if blackhead is a problem in my area but the turkeys came to me this way and I got them from 40 minutes away. Do Turkeys need to be housed with only other Turkeys then ?

They have toonnsss of space to roam. They aren't housed in tight spaces by any means. The Turkeys have since been put to sleep. I have no idea if blackhead is a problem in my area but the turkeys came to me this way and I got them from 40 minutes away. Do Turkeys need to be housed with only other Turkeys then ?

When you bring in any new poultry, you should quarantine them until you are sure they are healthy and are not bringing any parasites with them. What you need to do now is to make sure that the parasites that came with your new turkeys did not get transmitted to your other poultry.

You should be able to contact your local county agriculture extension office to find out if Blackhead is a problem in your area.

Blackhead is not a problem where I am and I have been running chickens and turkeys together for around 30 years without any problems.

It all depends on your local conditions.

Good luck.

Back
Top Bottom