Build a Chunnel...

Mine has a wire floor (it's just wire bent in a full circle zip tied), but it is just a tunnel to get them to another run, they aren't supposed to hang out & dig in the tunnel. But of course they do!

If I were to do it not as just a highway, but where they were supposed to be working & turning the soil, I would have bent it & stuck it in the ground without the floor for sure.

Oh, ok, now I understand. Yes, I want them to enjoy scratching and getting bugs to eat.

This is so awesome! And you gave such great details and pics. I'm currently designing my first coop and run. I was originally planning to put them near where I plan to build a raised bed garden, but decided that was too far away from the back of the house. I want the coop closer to me since my hens are going to be straight up pets. I had been trying to think of a way to make them a path to the garden so that when I'm in the garden they can join me. Your chunnel is the perfect solution! Now I have to figure out how to favorite your article so I can come back to it. (I'm new to the forum.)

Also, reading through the comments, there are so many practical uses for the chunnel for everyone's specific circumstance.

Awesome materials. I have large chicken space... total about 1300 sqft for 12 birds, plus free range much of the time. Your tube is just what I want to do around my fence for more variety And then stop free ranging

Awesome materials. I have large chicken space... total about 1300 sqft for 12 birds, plus free range much of the time. Your tube is just what I want to do around my fence for more variety And then stop free ranging

Wow! 1300sq ft sounds like a dream. My 4 will only have about 100sq ft total other than when I let them supervised "free-range" in a space a little bigger a few hours each week. My back yard, though, will have a 900ft fenced perimeter. You gave me another great idea. Perhaps I will also eventually add a chunnel around that perimeter like you plan to do.

And it would keep the 2 pet goats I hope to have and my dogs off the fence. Win win!

a path to the garden so that when I'm in the garden they can join me. Your chunnel is the perfect solution! Now I have to figure out how to favorite your article so I can come back to it.
They will destroy your garden plants.....unless you make chunnels there too.
Start a word doc and save links and notes there. ;) Then you can search the doc file.

Wow! 1300sq ft sounds like a dream. My 4 will only have about 100sq ft total other than when I let them supervised "free-range" in a space a little bigger a few hours each week. My back yard, though, will have a 900ft fenced perimeter. You gave me another great idea. Perhaps I will also eventually add a chunnel around that perimeter like you plan to do.

And it would keep the 2 pet goats I hope to have and my dogs off the fence. Win win!
Goats climb... I want a couple goats, too... been told hot wire is best deterrent

Goats climb... I want a couple goats, too... been told hot wire is best deterrent

Yes. I have been reading to great amusement all of the info on how goats are crazy curious and climb and jump and all kinds of stuff. I was thinking more of keeping them off the fence far enough to stop them rubbing, but you are totally right. They would just climb on top of the chunnel and the jump on over the fence. LOL. The goats will have internal fenced areas with the electrified wire. I was hoping not to have to run any electricity along my main perimeter fence since I'll be supervising them when they have that access...but I might have to if the prove to be as persistent even during those times.

They will destroy your garden plants.....unless you make chunnels there too.
Start a word doc and save links and notes there. ;) Then you can search the doc file.

Great idea on the doc! I already use OneNote to collect all kinds of notes and info on these plans (and the rest of my life). Don't know why I didn't think to paste the links in there! Brain fog. LOL

Back
Top Bottom