BUILDING A CHICKEN MANSION (ANY SUGGESTIONS?)

ChickenOrTheEgg

In the Brooder
12 Years
Mar 20, 2007
Elsberry, Missouri
We moved to the country less than a year ago and we are all settled now so we just got 5 chicks. I have a completly empty single-wide mobile home complete with doggie doors, ramps and fencing. I want to build nesting boxes and perches all over the place and make them as comfortable as possible but I don't know what the best type of box or perch to build. I herd that you don't want the boxes and perches in the same area, is that true. Does anyone have any cool ideas for me? Again we are brand new to chickens so if you could use layman's terms I would appreciate it. My wife, 3 kids, and I are so excited we can't stand it!

Last edited:
WOW!! I don't have any ideas, but I think you may need to get more chickens.
wink.png

so how about taking the doors off cabinets if there are some and putting nest boxes or the drawers from above in there. you would want to cover the front of the cabinet with cloth(canvas) and make one slit up the center of each door opening, it will help keep them from sleeping in the boxes and making a mess.

perch goes in front of nest box for them to stand on before entering

roosts (to sleep on at night)
we used slats from a lumber store on the edge of a 2 by 2 or 2 by 4, they can walk and hold onto the slats easy and it's not as much sanding as it would be to use a 2 by 4 laying down.
you'll do yourself a favor by putting wire mesh under them with a 2 by 2 frame and painted plywood to catch all the droppings under the wire mesh. that way at night all the poop will land there, so much easier to keep clean. just leave enough room between the wire screen and the plywood to get a hoe in to pull out all the droppings we use a snow shovel to put the dropping into. it only takes a could minutes to clean it and the odor won't be unbearable.
we have 1/2" wire mesh it was fine when ours were little but when we do it again it will be 1' wire mesh instead. Keep the roost at least 15" away from the wall and even then you may find some dribbles. hope you have free shavings available. We use 1 bag of shavings in a 6 by 8 coop, but with the wires under all the roosts it lasts a long time. hope the floor is all vinyl flooring! Are you gonna make them stairs and ramps all over the place, that would be fun? mine jump up people sized stairs really easy. does it get cold were you are? you wouldn't want to run hot air heat in there. have fun with those chicks, we got ours last May, we're loving it. it's so cute when they follow us around! I love their fuzzy bottoms. Cindy:D

Back
Top Bottom