Building a hatcher

Kung_pao

Songster
Jan 22, 2023
Im thinking about building a hatcher, that way my incubators stay cleaner. Maybe one that holds 100-150 eggs. I know I could use a cooler, but I would like something that looks nice. I’m open to all designs and ideas. Also any information about ventilation would be appreciated. I’m planning on ordering the

IncuKit™ XL for Cabinet Incubators, with the extra heat/fan.​

I also am thinking about getting the humidikit. I don’t think we can post links but I’ll try.

https://incubatorwarehouse.com/coll...ts/products/incukit-xl?variant=45799435698479

You should factor in how many times you will put it to use in a year.

Cause some people just need it every now and then. Then it gets stored for a long while.

Keeping the structure low profile will have more heat stability.

If glass pane is used, don't use it on top, heat will pass through it. Which will destabilize the heat containment.

PC fans are cheap and work well to move air around. Easy to hookup.

You would need a half inch hole on the bottom wall. To bring in fresh air in so the incubator air doesn't get stagnant.

Just something to consider. Understanding how hot air move in a containment will improve your build.

I know I could use a cooler, but I would like something that looks nice.
So like a Yeti cooler?
Just kidding. Have you thought about what dimensions you'd need?
I've thought about making a large one myself. I'd want all eggs on the same level so I wasn't thinking anything that would need a lot of height but for that amount of eggs it'd need sizeable width or depth.
That also had me thinking about air circulation. If it gets deep it would take more fans to cover all the depth. If you go less deep I'd need to be wider. Then you have further you'd have to push the air.
Everything gets more complicated when you go bigger. I think if I ever decide to attempt the project I'd start with a glass top coffee table then completely modify it to something workable.
Big project so if you don't mind I'll hang out and see what suggestions come up. Maybe give me some ideas too.

I’m still pondering this. I ordered the Incukit now I just need to hurry up, I have three weeks to get this thing running.

Attachments

• IMG_6748.jpeg
    IMG_6748.jpeg
    545.5 KB · Views: 4
  • IMG_6749.jpeg
    IMG_6749.jpeg
    388.7 KB · Views: 4
  • IMG_6754.jpeg
    IMG_6754.jpeg
    582.3 KB · Views: 4
After testing a lot of designs I settled on a cabinet with heaters, fans humidity pan on the top shelf and egg trays below. I was selling them at the time. The typical arrangement i'm sure you've seen. The number of fans, size and speed will determine how well the air flows. In this style cabinet the air flows in a loop. More of a directed air flow verses the chaotic air flow of the fans mounted on the top of a box. Eithe will work. If its you first build I would keep it simple. I'll be interested in what you come up with.
I'm interested in what you've already come up with.
Are you talking multiple stacked trays as a hatcher?
Always stayed away from that idea just because didn't want trays of hatching eggs hatching above others. Common is wire mesh bottoms on the trays. That lends to too much dropping on below trays.
With any solid bottom trays I am wary of getting good air flow throughout.

I have my sportsman 1502 hatching trays and had thought to just model my incubator around its dimensions. I would assume it would hold 90 eggs at least. I’ve never filled it up before.
Have you saw my pepsi-bator?

I wonder if there is a way to improve the airflow with them mounted to the top? A single layer hatcher would’ve been the easiest to build but if I’m going to have hot and cold spots that won’t matter.
I never achieved a uniformed air flow with a top mount heater/fan over a single layer of eggs . You may have better luck than I did. I hate to think of the time and money spent trying different designs only to discard them. I found directing the air front to back thourgh the egg trays gave me the best temp distribution. Keep in mind air flow also cools the eggs later in the incubation period. Developed embryos are exothermic and egg shell temp exceeds the incubators set temperature. I had real problems with my early hatchers as I insulated the cabinets and experienced runaway temps with energetic breeds. Cornish cross broiler chicken eggs were the worst. It causes you to vent more to off set temp increase that lowers the humidity. If I was in a cooler climate or had climate controlled room it many not have been a problem.

I had a sportsman back in the day when they were the wood versions. I later made a couple cabinet incubators with the basic same set up. They all worked well.
With the pepsi-bator I needed to work within the box. I always went with a sportsman like set up cause it was proven but began to wonder if it would work better with the heat source at the bottom since heat raises. It was an incubator only so not any worry about hatching gunk dropping down onto anything.
With that I rethought, overthought then rethought everything again. I don't know any specifics of what works best. Of what is needed exactly. I did and do the trail and error game.
For my incubator I turned everything upside down and inside out. The heat source and thermostat is on the bottom. So is the water pan. I had the fan I put up top and it blows upwards so it's pulling air in and blowing it up then down inside the false wall. I put the second fan at the bottom just so it would blow across the heat source and with the size I thought maybe two fans in two locations would work better.
Everything work better then I even expected with a slightly lower temp at the top. The small bulb at the top evened it all out.
From this build and my past builds I've discovered one thing. It's not rocket science. I think very different set ups can work just as well as others.
You have your basics. Heat, air flow and ventilation. I think you just need to get a box size and configuration and go from there. The bigger the more challenges.
I think the two fans at the top would work potentially. Have an idea on size of the whole thing? Still planning on using your hatching tray or trays? Figure out that then go from there.
In my experience, significant temperature layering top to botton is a sure sign of insufficient air flow. The air flow needs to be really positive in a cabinet style set up. The number of fans, size, speed and volume are really important to achieve a uniform temp. That being said, sportsman incubators are known to vary several degrees top to bottom and people generally have good success. I have used false backs in some incubators but found it's not needed In a multi tray cabinet style incubators if air flow is sufficent for the cabinet size. I have used a false bottom on some single egg layer incubators to return air under the tray.

Last edited:
I'm interested in what you've already come up with.
Are you talking multiple stacked trays as a hatcher?
Always stayed away from that idea just because didn't want trays of hatching eggs hatching above others. Common is wire mesh bottoms on the trays. That lends to too much dropping on below trays.
With any solid bottom trays I am wary of getting good air flow throughout.
I use either a solid bottom tray or a liner over wire bottoms. I use the liner in the solid wood trays as well because its easier to clean after the hatch. I would forget trying to flow air through the trays top to bottom. I had terrible results with that design, but other people say it works. Air flowing down the front and through the trays front to back works best for me. Air returns up behind the trays, but no false back required. The area in front and behind the tray act as an air plenum and need to be size correctly for required air flow.

Attachments

• 3 DRAWER HATCHER.JPG
    3 DRAWER HATCHER.JPG
    440.4 KB · Views: 10
So like a Yeti cooler?
Just kidding. Have you thought about what dimensions you'd need?
I've thought about making a large one myself. I'd want all eggs on the same level so I wasn't thinking anything that would need a lot of height but for that amount of eggs it'd need sizeable width or depth.
That also had me thinking about air circulation. If it gets deep it would take more fans to cover all the depth. If you go less deep I'd need to be wider. Then you have further you'd have to push the air.
Everything gets more complicated when you go bigger. I think if I ever decide to attempt the project I'd start with a glass top coffee table then completely modify it to something workable.
Big project so if you don't mind I'll hang out and see what suggestions come up. Maybe give me some ideas too.
If you’re buying I’ll use a yeti lol. A cooler is probably my best bet but it would just look bad sitting in the kitchen lol. I’ll keep brainstorming.

Back
Top Bottom