Building A Hoop Coop first! a Pallet Coop next!

MonsterClucker

Songster
7 Years
Jun 19, 2012
Anderson, California
Hey BYC! First off thanks for all of the ideas and knowledge you guys have provided me with. Pretty much everything I know about chickens comes from this community. I appreciate making my life more enjoyable AND EASIER!! LOL :lol: Well I ordered chicks a few weeks ago and its time to start building their housing. Well I've actually already started building but its not complete yet. I have both jumbo meaties and BR layers so I'm gonna need seperate housing. I want this to be MOST OF ALL, Cost Effective!! Anything I can get to build housing for my chickens that's FREE FREE FREE!! Is what I'm aiming for. So let me start with the meaties housing since this will be done the soonest. I have decided on a "Hoop Coop" for these guys. I got the idea from fellow BYC'er Bekissed. She has been so much of a inspiration to me on how I keep my chickens,from housing to feeding. The Hoop Coop is a really simple and easily constructed idea to house your chickens. It's mainly constructed from cattle panel fence, and 2x4's. It can be as big or as small as you'd like to build one and the cost of material is ridiculously COST EFFECTIVE!! Here you can see the basic shape of the Hoop Coop is a 8x8 framed out with 2x4's. Then I put up PVC pipe to make a "hoop" shape, and then put the cattle fence over that. My pannels were 5' tall, so I had room to over lap them and make it a little more secure. So now you have the frame, ribs and shell of your Hoop Coop. You can see the roll of black netting that's 4' tall I'm gonna line the inside with in the middle of the coop. So far that's all I've got done for now. You can see the Hoop Coop in the left side of this fenced in "yard". I want to make "My" door on the (left) outside of this fence so I really never have to come in that yard to access the coop to change water/feed/beddin So that the next task. And to make the "front end" wall with the chicken door. Also I have to add the tarp on the top of the coop. Ill take better pictures tomorrow of things like how I secured the PVC to the 2x4 and how I secured the wire to the 2x4 also. If there's anything specifically you'd like me to explain or take better pictures of, ill be more than happy to!

Last edited:
I snapped some early Mornin' pictures of a few things. Really didn't know what else to take pictures of right now. Heres how i secured the cattle fencing to the 2x4. Their just fence staples that you hammer in. And here is what I used to secure the PVC to the 2x4 This is where I want to put the human door. On the outside of the fence. I was thinking about building and framing up a door here or building one somehow from PVC. If anyone has any ideas for me I would GREATLY appreciate it!

Ok now the pallet coop is gonna be my new "Main" coop. For now its gonna house the 10 Barred Rock chicks when they are ready in about 4 weeks. So I have a little time to spend on this project. The basic footprint of this coop is 8x12x about 7.5' tall. This coop is gonna be build with pretty much free pallets I got from a friends business. He has these things just piled up in the back all the time so I have access to how many ever I'm gonna need. Pretty cool! ;) Here you can see the base of the coop covered in OSB board So now I have 1 level of pallets put up around the base forming walls. Theres gonna be another level of pallets put up ontop of this one. So far this is far as I've got done on this. I'm gonna try ans get the walls all done before the week depending on the weather. But I hope to be able to house 20-30 birds in this coop. It'll have a covered run area about 6x6 jurfor small chicks or to hang waterers. I want this to be a VERY functional and easy to deal with coop so I'm gonna put a lot of thought into the features I want this to have. I've been peeling through the pages here on BYC for ideas to incorporate into this coop but I'd really like to hear from you guys if you have any ideas, suggestions or tips for this build out. Thanks BYC!! Enjoy the day

Please keep us posted on this project! We're going to expand/rebuild our tiny coop this fall, and I have a friend who works on a loading dock who can get me all the pallets I need. But it will be a much smaller project than this as we only need room for eight hens. I'm not too worried about insulation as it rarely freezes here in Seattle and we have a heat lamp for those occasions. What I'm really wondering is, how do you ventilate the coop when you build it with pallets?

It was really nice outside this mornin so I got a lot done. Pvc door hinges It got hot out so I'm done for now. Gotta get more screws. But its pretty much done. Gotta make the chicken doorfeeder, and waterer. I want to make a trough feeder like the red chick feeder just without the head holes. I need to see if I have some extra gutter laying around. But here it is!!!!

So I pretty much completed the hoop coop. Had the chicks out for a test drive in it before the sun went down. They are gonna be in it full time as soon as I pick up a few essentials.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom