Building a predator proof run

Thank you for the feedback! We were planning to also cover the roof with clear polycarbonate roofing to keep the run protected from the elements while still letting sunlight in, but we were going to have the hardware cloth underneath the polycarbonate just in case.
And with the apron, I've seen people talk about buying it, it sounds like you're recommending putting it on top of the ground? Will this still deter tunneling from rats, chipmunks, etc? We're worried they could just dig right under & back up into the run
Do you know if groundhogs are predators to chickens? They are digging up my back yard and I did not put hardware cloth down inside of my coop.

Do you know if groundhogs are predators to chickens? They are digging up my back yard and I did not put hardware cloth down inside of my coop.

They are primarily herbivores and insectivores, but *might* possibly eat a chick under some circumstances.

The problem with groundhogs getting into your run or coop would be that their tunnels could allow other predators to enter.

I don't live in your climate, but probably do half polycarbonate and half solid roof? If you have snowfalls, then space the beams closer together (a local DIYer or builder could advise). If a wide run, you may need supporting posts in the middle to cope with heavy snowfall.

There are different types of polycarbonate roofing, some is waved (corrugated), others have the twin-wall, square channels, which is stronger than the single thickness corrugated material. See what is in use for houses (conservatories) in your area, and their construction, because that is sort of what you are building in a way.

To predator proof here in AZ we used 2x4 fencing and 1/2 inch hardware cloth on all sides plus additional stucco mesh on the bottom (buried about a foot below ground) and the base of each wall concrete block buried one block deep. Our previous coop/run had badgers and other predators try to excavate to get in. our roof is metal and all sides of the run are open with some shade cloth on the east side of the structure. Ventilation is more important to us than keeping warm. The coop inside the run has three enclosed sides and the fourth side can be opened or closed

Hi everyone,

This will be my first time owning chickens & am trying to decide the best way to predator proof the run area. We have lots of predators (hawks, rats, foxes, raccoons, coyotes, neighborhood cats, chipmunks and squirrels, and potentially weasels as well). Planning to use 1/2" x 1/2" hardware cloth secured to 2x4's using screws and washers for the walls and roof. We were planning to dig down 12" and do the whole floor in hardware cloth too, then backfill, just wondering if this is overkill? Would an apron be sufficient given the digging predators that we have? I feel like an apron would be much easier but don't want to regret doing it that way. I appreciate any insight!
Thank you!
You don't have to dig deep on the exterior to install a 2' wide hardware cloth barrier. A couple of inches will do and just attach it to the outside of the Run and then cover it up. When animals try to dig, they dig up close and then back up a little to dig and then they run into the hard work cloth they'll leave. I got my coupon run from Carolina coops. And do deep litter method. They have lots of videos and helpful ideas

Thank you for the feedback! We were planning to also cover the roof with clear polycarbonate roofing to keep the run protected from the elements while still letting sunlight in, but we were going to have the hardware cloth underneath the polycarbonate just in case.
And with the apron, I've seen people talk about buying it, it sounds like you're recommending putting it on top of the ground? Will this still deter tunneling from rats, chipmunks, etc? We're worried they could just dig right under & back up into the run
We have what we thought was a secure run with an apron and wire roof with polycarbonate panels to deflect the rain. For the first time in years I now have a rat problem and you’re right. The rats dig outside my perimeter apron and are coming up inside the run and coop. We are getting ready to troubleshoot and retro fit with hardware cloth stapled to the floor of the coop. I never thought I would need to do that but I swear once rats discover they can do it there’s no stopping them. I think you’re wise to do the floor too. Just make sure you have a thick layer of dirt, chips, or whatever you’re using in your run.

I don't know where you live, but the clear polycarbonate roof may be sweltering in the summertime. I'd recommend a solid roof over part and bird netting or chicken wire over the rest.

Address your needs.

my only day time predator for the most part is hawks . I am urban so the neighbors dog or cat would be about it in the day.
A Day time fox, coon, coyote, bobcat will say to the wooded areas and lots not in developed areas. All bets are off at night. My 14'x6' armored coop/run has a chain link apron and the hardware cloth laps it by a foot. It is in the ground 4"- 8". Nothing around here will dig in so my nights are safe.
My 30'x10' day run is 6' 2"x4" animal wire that is 4"- 6" in the ground with heavy hawk net over head. I did not use an apon because my property is chain link fenced and my bulldog has access to the yard 24-7.
You can see the build here.
The day run has been redone with new animal wire and is wider han the photos.

https://www.backyardchickens.com/threads/10x6-roofed-with-a-8x20-run.1325133/page-2#post-21679833

Last edited:
I'm planning right now, and it seems logical to build the run first. I wanted to use my shed as one side of the run (16' long, 10' high to the roof), attaching hardware cloth (HWC) to the bottom of the shed and bent to lay somewhat flat on the ground underneath (shed is about 1' off the ground on blocks). It'll be a little awkward, but I think doable.

My puzzler is the opposite side of the run, a 4' high chainlink fence with woods beyond. Laying HWC flat on the ground on the woods side is probably not doable, there are lots of tree shoots and undergrowth. Would laying HWC flat INSIDE the run be advisable in this situation? Or should the tree roots be a deterrent to digging?

See attached photo.

There are plenty of hardwood deciduous trees in the woods, we get lots of leaves, little to no snow annually. Would a bird netting work as a run roof, even partially?

We have snakes, squirrels, opossums, raccoons, foxes, feral cats, and sometimes dogs. My son said he saw a coyote once, it's possible.

(junk in photo is going elsewhere, blue tarp is covering pallets to be used in coop construction)

Attachments

• 14D71A04-B77F-438F-8DAC-1EE570898021.jpeg
    14D71A04-B77F-438F-8DAC-1EE570898021.jpeg
    531.4 KB · Views: 9
  • A63E6843-E206-4081-BC2A-7322B18086E5.jpeg
    A63E6843-E206-4081-BC2A-7322B18086E5.jpeg
    1.5 MB · Views: 6
  • D7020A3B-78BE-4DD6-9733-0258FE7E502E.jpeg
    D7020A3B-78BE-4DD6-9733-0258FE7E502E.jpeg
    1.4 MB · Views: 5
Last edited:
Hi everyone,

This will be my first time owning chickens & am trying to decide the best way to predator proof the run area. We have lots of predators (hawks, rats, foxes, raccoons, coyotes, neighborhood cats, chipmunks and squirrels, and potentially weasels as well). Planning to use 1/2" x 1/2" hardware cloth secured to 2x4's using screws and washers for the walls and roof. We were planning to dig down 12" and do the whole floor in hardware cloth too, then backfill, just wondering if this is overkill? Would an apron be sufficient given the digging predators that we have? I feel like an apron would be much easier but don't want to regret doing it that way. I appreciate any insight!
Thank you!
Hii have a barn half is a storage and the other half is the coop i have rats snd they sre basically under the barn they have dug holes all around the foundation every time i fill the dirt in they make a new hole i want to understand what you have done to predator proof your coop i am a first time chicken owner Im lost the rats have taken over ! What can i do to redirect them out and away from my propperty pest control no was no help

Sincerely jackie mccoy

Back
Top Bottom