Building a tractor, but design is 3 seasons and for meat birds. Can this work for winter?

shawmutt

Chirping
May 4, 2023
Greencastle, PA
After a ton of research, I've decided to scrap the idea of building a coop from my kid's old playhouse. I really want a tractor. I looked online, and it seems that runs are either cheap pieces of crap that need a lot of doctoring to work, or super expensive chicken Cadillacs, with nothing in between.

So I'm working off these plans and starting this weekend: https://farmmarketingsolutions.com/stress-free-chicken-tractor-plans

The problem is this tractor is designed for meat birds and not meant for winter use. I'm looking over the rental coop, and thinking I could build something similar inside the tractor design, I mean in essence it's just a cabinet with a smaller cabinet attached. It would involve me going in the run for care and gathering eggs, but I prefer that anyway. Thoughts? Would it be OK for the winter? I'm in southern PA, we get pretty mild winters with a freak winter every five years or so.

I don't know the answer, but I can bump this for you. Depends highly on your snow load I think.

If you build it yourself, a decent coup and run can be had for the same or much less money than the ones available for purchase.

As long as you keep a minimum of 15 sq ft per chicken (minimum of 4 in coop, 10 in covered run), you will have enough space to avoid any behavior issues over the winter when they're locked up. Are you really planning to relocate your tractor every few days in the middle of winter?

I'd check out runs made from chain link or greenhouse frame with hardware cloth over it, and coops made from sheds.

Mine is all weather and stayed put during the 4 hurricanes. Is metal but can be made of hardwood. First one was made for my Rohde Island Reds and the second was for my Seabrights. Both with rainwater collection. You could mix the two and make it like in the video.

7272 Original.JPG
20170131_132242.JPG
20170131_130653.JPG
20170131_130702.JPG

After it was finished you could roll it around very easy, even with a half tank of water. Wish I never gave it away.

20170417_140723.jpg
20170417_140744.jpg

20170417_140942.jpg
20170417_140937.jpg

Mine is all weather and stayed put during the 4 hurricanes. Is metal but can be made of hardwood. First one was made for my Rohde Island Reds and the second was for my Seabrights. Both with rainwater collection. You could mix the two and make it like in the video.

View attachment 3511088View attachment 3511113View attachment 3511114View attachment 3511115

After it was finished you could roll it around very easy, even with a half tank of water. Wish I never gave it away.

View attachment 3511123View attachment 3511124

View attachment 3511125View attachment 3511126

I love your welding work! Now I have tractor envy!!!

I've seen the John Suscovich tractors (the OPs original pics) modified by many homesteading families for laying birds. During a mild winter, it's possible to move about , no problem. For storms involving any wet snow load, some type of support under the tarped roof may be needed, but shouldnt be too expensive or difficult.

I've used the 2x4 & 2x6" based, hooped cattle panels for VERY affordable chicken tractors.

So many affordable designs right here in BYCs tractor threads.

Back
Top Bottom