Building goose coop for 3 geese. Vermont winters. Insulate?

VermontGoose

In the Brooder
Jun 6, 2023
Hi,
I posted this as well in goose forum. I live in Vermont near Canadian border. We can get as cold as -30 or -40 in winter. I’m building new coop out of plywood and board. With three geese in there and deep layer of pine shavings would you build insulation into the coop? Last winter I had one goose and wrapped coop in 6ml thick plastic sheets at night and goose did fine. But I brought chickens and goose into garage when it hit -30 a couple nights.

Do mean a wind chill of -30? Your geese will be out of the wind. I think I would also bring them into the garage in the coldest weather.
Our air temp can get to -30. I think I’m not going to add insulation in walls of coop because I keep reading it causes condensation.

I insulated my coop with rockwool batting as my area temps get down to -40 for a week or two every winter. I love it! i keep a vent cracked for all moisture the birds make but no breeze and they all do great. I still have a bit of a problem with them getting tips of their comb froze occasionally but it is better than my ex's coop where we acually lost birds

Back
Top Bottom