building my own incubator! PIC heavy! ** Update More Pics ***

Quote:
Yep I have seen where people have drilled vents in to the thermostat an had good results. If you really know what your doing it might be worth trying. But for most people I wouldn't. Placing the thermostat close enough to the light is all it needs.

As for fans... I would stay away from 110 AC fans in small incubators. They put out a good bit of heat on there own an can cause overheating. PC case fans are everywhere an can be got online for almost nothing.. http://www.pricewatch.com/gallery/fans/case

I really , really, really hate to sound stupid but I know NOTHING about wiring. I was hoping a home made incubator would be something I could do myself. I know how to do the light kit but that would be as far as what little ability goes. I just thought I could put the light in the cooler with the thermostat and that would be it till I reread where I would need the fan to keep things cool. Wouldn't holes in the side of the cooler work too? Put holes in it and if the temp was to cold, block some of the holes till I could get it regulated.
Maybe I had better rethink ever hatching eggs since it sounds WAY over my head. I really just wanted something small to hatch a few eggs at a time. Sorry to take up your time.

Quote:
You can do it! I would use a fan, otherwise it is a still air incublotor and from what Ihave read alot of folks don't like those. I used a computer fan and and old cell phone charger plug, it is separate fomr the light and thermostat set up. There are a number of great wiring diagrams in the coop design section I used the one in the Gopher bator
https://www.backyardchickens.com/web/viewblog.php?id=7562-The_GopherBator

Last edited:
Quote:
Yes, the gopherbator was well done with a lot of pictures to add clarity to the project.
Give it a try and lots of testing before putting it to use.
Joe

My Hubby came in and I asked if he could get free shipping on anything through Amazon and he asked what I was thinking about getting. When I told him I was going to spend my money on an incubator since I didn't think I could figure it out to make my own, he said he would make one for me. ISN'T he the sweetest??? I know I can make the bator but wasn't sure about hooking up a fan. THANK YOU everyone for your help.

Back
Top Bottom