Building New Coop/Barn...Phase 5 Great Barn Build, OCCUPIED! 3/6/16

Pics
Slight change of plans. After seeing how much they had to go down on front to get the site level and other considerations, we decided to eliminate the storage section in back, making the building 5' shorter. We also decided to turn the building so the entry door faces to the left and the roll up door faces to the right. Off the back end is a little high and necessitated a ramp, which we felt might be slippery in winter even if it's dirt covered by rock. Off to the right is a maple tree, easily removed and it's only a few inches off the ground at that point, easier for whatever has to come through that roll up door. Rearranged the pens a bit, made the center aisle a little narrower and voila, new design that will fit better on the pad, work better the new direction and is about $1000 cheaper, leaving us more wiggle room to do the interior. There is still some storage just to the left of the rolll up door, enough for the metal cans of feed and some shavings, can still make that loft for more if need be. This is DH's drawing (who still doesn't know I spell Xander with an "x" )

Last edited:
4' is a generous size for aisles, that leaves you plenty of space to move around, and you could have some shelves up higher to put smaller items on. I also like that your large pen doors are close to the door outside - and later if you wanted some small pop doors for runs on the sides for the smaller pens they could be easily added.

It would also be pretty easy to add a little lean-to outside the roll-up door for additional storage if needed. Old chest freezers make great storage for grain, a big one will hold several sacks standing upright, and with the addition of a few small ventilation holes and a latch they make great rodent-proof storage. They can often be had for free.

4' is a generous size for aisles, that leaves you plenty of space to move around, and you could have some shelves up higher to put smaller items on. I also like that your large pen doors are close to the door outside - and later if you wanted some small pop doors for runs on the sides for the smaller pens they could be easily added.

It would also be pretty easy to add a little lean-to outside the roll-up door for additional storage if needed. Old chest freezers make great storage for grain, a big one will hold several sacks standing upright, and with the addition of a few small ventilation holes and a latch they make great rodent-proof storage. They can often be had for free.

Oh, fabulous suggestion about the lean-to! I actually may have my own old chest freezer in the near future. I have a super old upright that was left here when we bought the place and a 35 year old small chest freezer that we bought when the boys were young and I'd like to replace both of those with one, new energy efficient upright.

Barn location video with completed pad and gratuitous Finn video, also related to barn location. One more added benefit to turning the building sideways is that the roll up door will not be completely hidden away from view. We will have solar motion activated lights but someone could monkey with the door and not be seen back there.

0.jpg

0.jpg

I would get more cats to keep mice and rats away. We have 3 cats, and they keep away mice, rats, snakes, lizards, birds etc. We literally don't see a single little critter in our yard, so it's definitely worth it! :)

I would get more cats to keep mice and rats away. We have 3 cats, and they keep away mice, rats, snakes, lizards, birds etc. We literally don't see a single little critter in our yard, so it's definitely worth it!
smile.png
I would consider one more but DH won't. He didn't want even one but Finn showed up and stuck to him like glue so he likes Finn, but generally, he says he'd never get a cat on purpose. Silly man. He was playing with a beautiful calico at the feed store last week. I said she looked like a Mrs. Finn to me.

Field Design!
Silly Cat.
His footprints are in it. Saw them awhile ago. I may have to write his name somewhere in it if this keeps up. And maybe a cartoon cat face, too, LOL.

Back
Top Bottom